What's new
What's new

Can anyone identify this machine

Ben 77

Plastic
Can anyone help me to identify this machine?
Many thanks for your feedback / suggestionsMystery machine jpeg.jpg.
Cheers,
Ben 77

Defiantly a extremely rare final stage development turbo-compound version of the retro encabulator but it is the MarkII version........... I knew this fellow that lived down the road in that other place that had a whole collection of these before the "Men in Black" came and took him away.....

Defiantly a extremely rare final stage development turbo-compound version of the retro encabulator but it is the MarkII version........... I knew this fellow that lived down the road in that other place that had a whole collection of these before the "Men in Black" came and took him away.....

Definitely the Mark II version, but it looks like it has the eccentric spindle, quite a rare option on those units!

And I thought it was an electric conversion kit for an RCA Victrola. I feel real dumb now that you guys pointed out the Mark II.

Ben

The eccentric spindle, which was sometimes fitted to the Mark II version, was developed in Thomas Edison's lab. I say this because there is a rare photograph of Thomas Edison posing with this very machine. It was developed by workers, in his lab, to form spun horse hair filaments, for use in early hand blown glass lightbulbs.

The backup twin to this machine now sits in the Smithsonian collection.

Thank you, Billtodd, this makes sense because another
photograph in the series shows a machine with a keyboard
for entering data / instructions on punched tape.
Best regards,
Ben 77

SWAG: It's a Wheatstone tape reader. Wheatstone tape is a method of automatically sending Morse code. The tape is about 1/2 wide. There are two data tracks at the top and bottom, plus tractor feed perforations down the center. A "Dot" is two perforations on a line across the tape. A "Dash" is two perforations which are offset from each other. The reader keys a radio transmitter, or perhaps in some cases a telegraph line. Being Morse, the output is human-readable.

The tape is punched either from a machine with a full keyboard, or a simpler machine with dot, dash, and space keys only. (McElroy made these.)

These were in use and commercially available as late as 1970-ish. There were ads for them in the back of the Radio Amateur's Handbook in that era.

The British "Creed" system is similar in purpose, although different in detail.

Remember, this is a SWAG based on other's identification as a perforated paper tape device.

Back