What's new
What's new

Bodie, CA Ghost Town

Heres a pic of a shaper in their machine shop, as well as some pics of the electrical and drive hardware. Bodie was the first long distance power transmission, running power from a hydroelectric plant in Bridgeport to the town. The mill was run on steam early on, but it was fired by wood and as time went by, the fuel had to be hauled from further and further away, thus the change.

IMG_2198.jpgIMG_2200.jpgIMG_2201.jpgIMG_2203.jpgIMG_2206.jpg

Here's a couple of some of the hydroelectric power equipment, as well as some of the steam equipment. I'm not sure If this power equipment was original to Bodie or came from another mine.

IMG_2214_1.jpgIMG_2215.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2217.jpg

Last edited:
cjtoombs,

Thank you for the photos. I tried to get to Bodie in Feb 1967 on the way to NC but the road was snowed in.

The attachments in your post #5 are not working.

Paul

Paul, thanks. The picture of the stamp mill was causing a problem, The others work now. I don't think it was a California state park back then, I don't know when the last residents moved out, but it was still operating at a very low output up into the 30's, I believe.

Here's a couple of some of the hydroelectric power equipment, as well as some of the steam equipment. I'm not sure If this power equipment was original to Bodie or came from another mine.

Fascinating that Bodie was in it's boom in 1849, when the gold rush was hitting hard. This was about 40 years before electricity was starting to be run in the U.S.

It is most interesting at the amount of electrical motors that were there, as they all had to be bought after the fact, as Bodie went through it's growing pains.

I've heard of Bodie but have never been there. I just looked on the map and didn't realize it was so close to Mono lake on the other side of Yosemite. I've been to and around Mono lake a number of time, as I have to Mammoth (about an house from Mono Lake as I recall).

Great pics, thanks for posting!

cjtoombs:

The machine shown on the right hand side of picture #2 and the left hand side of picture #5 is an Induction
Alternator designed by William Stanley and formed part of the "SKC" transmission system. The Stanley Elec-
tric Manufacturing Company became part of General Electric in 1903.

The machine shown in picture #3 and on the right hand side of picture #5 is another standard GE product de-
signed by Horace Parshall and introduced in the early 1890s. It is known as an MP type continuous current
generator. It is hard to judge the size from the picture, but it could be an MP100, which would have an arma-
ture speed of about 625-650 rpm. The MP type machines were normally built in sizes up to 500KW for belt drive.

Hendeyman

This is very interesting. I had planned to stop in Bodie on my Portland-to-Albuquerque-and-back road trip last year, but spent more time in Yosemite (and the Lee Vining coin-op laundry) than originally scheduled. Glad to have some idea of what's there.

Back