What's new
What's new

Hendey Pre-Tie Bar Conehead Lathe - Potential Purchase

rfridenb

Plastic
Good afternoon. I have been reading many posts on this site as I am considering buying an early Hendey pre-tie bar lathe (14x6) through a friend. It was restored by a tool&die maker and is fully functional and looks clean. I plan on taking a look at it soon, although it is not in my state and getting it home could be an issue.

This will be my first lathe. I am very mechanical, having restored/rebuilt/painted cars in the past. My intent for the lathe is to take my time learning how to use it and then figure out what to make from there (I also plan on buying an older mill). This is strictly a tinkering hobby for me (I may retire soon).

Am I crazy with this approach? Will this old lathe handicap my learning or future hobbyist capability (I am also looking at a Clausing 5439 lathe). Assuming it is functioning correctly it should last a lifetime, right? I am concerned that there are no replacement parts readily available. However, I like really old things - therefore my attraction to the old Hendey (wife thinks I have lost my mind).

Your thoughts?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Rob

Am I crazy with this approach? - Yes. Most watch TV and dwell on "Fake News."

Will this old lathe handicap my learning or future hobbyist capability (I am also looking at a Clausing 5439 lathe). No, but hopefully your life partner (should you be so fortunate) understands why the checkbook always seems low.

Assuming it is functioning correctly it should last a lifetime, right? Maybe more than one.

I am concerned that there are no replacement parts readily available. Therein lies a challenge to be overcome - making parts as you break/need them.

However, I like really old things - therefore my attraction to the old Hendey (wife thinks I have lost my mind).
We have discussed your mind.

Meanwhile, life is short. Live it while you can. Nobody goes to the grave wishing they had done less.

Joe in NH

LOL!!! My wife is pretty cool though - not many would let me put a '30s gas pump in my home office! As far as the life is short comment - agree!!! I've been working on the bucket list and this is on there. The plan is to put the machines in my garage for now - future plan is in the basement (thankfully I have a walk-out). I'll need to work on my wife a bit to implement that part of the plan!

(wife thinks I have lost my mind).

Wouldn't worry overmuch about that. Wimmin' would have us believe we "lose our mind" easily as often as we lose one glove or all ballpoint pens.

I just tell mine all that Old Iron keeps me out of pubs and brothels.

Might want to modify that.

Pubs were a given. Of late, she's gotten curious as to WHEN, not IF, I ever did do brothels...

Depending what sort of work you end up doing, you may eventually want to upgrade to a machine with more power/capacity/mass/spindle speed. But, as long as you aren't opposed to working at the speed folks worked at a hundred years ago, the Hendey should be a good machine.

Andy

Rob,

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully, we will soon also welcome you to the Honorable Fraternity of Ancient Hendey Owners. (I just made that up!)

You wrote: " I am concerned that there are no replacement parts readily available. "

You need to post the serial number of your lathe, found stamped between the two front ways on the extreme right of the bed. There is a forum member, "Hendeyman," who has access to all the surviving Hendey drawings. He has made replacement gears to order for my 1912 tie-bar machine at very reasonable prices. (No relation except as a very satisfied customer!)

John Ruth

Thanks for everyone's response. I plan on looking at it this weekend so I will post the serial number.

There aren't very many 100 year old machines that have a parts supply available. The fact that drawings are available, beats out most of the competition. Most have to reverse engineer.

Depending what sort of work you end up doing, you may eventually want to upgrade to a machine with more power/capacity/mass/spindle speed. But, as long as you aren't opposed to working at the speed folks worked at a hundred years ago, the Hendey should be a good machine.

Andy

LOL, and the speed one hundred years ago is the speed any 'ol flatbelt South Bend lathe is running at today :)
John

The shear volume 750,000 lathes does not take into account the copies made throughout the world. Some sort of a tribute to non innovators,from non innovators.

That's an interesting lathe. I bet it went back to the factory and got refurbished with the chip tray and the more modern quick-change gearbox with the 1-2-3 shifter (I believe that none of the pre-tie-bar had that box).
The apron looks somehow strange, a bit narrow. I don't think it has any power cross-feed. But something could be hidden by the handwheel.

Paolo

That's an interesting lathe. I bet it went back to the factory and got refurbished with the chip tray and the more modern quick-change gearbox with the 1-2-3 shifter (I believe that none of the pre-tie-bar had that box).
The apron looks somehow strange, a bit narrow. I don't think it has any power cross-feed. But something could be hidden by the handwheel.

Paolo

The narrow apron is shown in post #6, second image, 1899. The chip pan was standard for that lathe.
John

I also recall seeing an article from 1905 showing a pre-tie bar with the 1-2-3 shifter on the side - stating that it provides 36 speeds for threading.

I will be looking at it tomorrow, and will post the serial number.

Appreciate the input!!

Back