What's new
What's new

Hendey shaper ID

mmarquette

Cast Iron
I apologize but I don't know how to put the link to go straight to this. There is a shaper in Chicago that look like a hendey. The name they have on it is the dealer it was sold through not the brand. They say it was there dads so they most likely don't know the brand.Thanks for your time and assistance

You didn't even say where it was listed.................so I took a stab at CL Chicago, is this it?
15" shaper

Unless that is a low speed motor, I doubt it has enough speed reduction

Looks like there is a speed reducer in front of that motor to me.

CarlBoyd

It might just be...............

I would be all over it, if I didn't have a couple of sixteen inch shapers already. I paid 250 (when scrap was high) to keep a Milwaukee shaper (Lutter and Gies) from meeting an undignified end...........and it had been in a grove of trees for some years. Some elbow grease later and it is cutting metal again.

Generally anything appearing "Hendey" and not having the name writ large in "cast in" letters is "early."

And worth saving for history.

I don't think this is one of the "friction drive" shapers characterized by a single cone pulley - but rather the ram reversing mechanism is done by the usual link/slider arrangement. Hendey did both and at various times.

The look of the ram downfeed (closed/covered compound) would put this after 1890 or so.

Joe in NH

Yes I would like to "save it" sounds better than hoarding. Figured hendey was as good as any to start collecting. Haven't heard back from Hendeyman yet. How positive are you on the brand??

How positive are you on the brand??

The vertical "vee" in side face of "table" was a Hendey feature - in the late thirties

Add scan of my 16 Heavy - gone these thirty years now. You can see the "table" is quite similar to the Post #2 photo, even though mine was much later

Attachments

• Hendey  Heavy 16 Shaper.jpg
    Hendey Heavy 16 Shaper.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
mmarquette:

I read your email to me about two hours ago and since you posted the ID question on the forum, I decided to answer your question here. I spent about an hour researching and writing a detailed explanation of why this shaper was not a Hendey. When I hit the "Post Quick
Reply" I was told that there wasn't any connection. It seems that while I was typing, our Service Provider had a massive outage in our
area. I assume that since I was writing my reply while connect to the PM, It might be somewhere at their end, but that is only a guess. At present, I don't have the time to rewrite my response, so, let me just say it is Not a Hendey shaper.

Hendeyman

Thanks so much. Sure does look like some but they are all very similar.I suppose that that dealer could have dealt in more than one brand or was a used one they got somehow. It has at least saved me the 6 hour one way trip to Chicago. Guess my collection will be put on hold. Still need to get my 18/8 spindle and trans mounted anyways.

Back