What's new
What's new

Hendey shaper in Pittsburgh

An easy choice for someone closer. I'm shipping a 2700 lb lathe from NY to Oregon with insurance for $740, much better than I'd have expected, still, a shaper, especially a belt slapper, is only a bargain if it's needed. For the pleasure of restoration it would be a fun project, but without probable profit.

OTH a vertical mill is easier to sell for a profit. Unfortunately it does distill down to whether or not it's a justifiable expense.

Looks very similar to page 86, fig. 21, of Kenneth L. Cope's book America planer, shaper and slotter buiulders.
That's a 15" Hendey shaper shown in fig. 21.

Interesting question perhaps, how old is the idea of tapered gibs for common production built machine tools? My Eriksen has close fitting non adjustable hold down gibs for up pressure and "grub screw" adjustable side load gibs for it's square ways. (Circa 1930 possibly, German)

Interesting question perhaps, how old is the idea of tapered gibs for common production built machine tools? My Eriksen has close fitting non adjustable hold down gibs for up pressure and "grub screw" adjustable side load gibs for it's square ways. (Circa 1930 possibly, German)
the gib on mine is tapered vertically, wedge shaped, wider on the top than on the bottom. Three screws sets the depth of it and therefore the width of the vertical ways
but it's a pretty modern backgeared 12" S&M, ring oiled allis chalmers motor, gear driven to the clutch.

What circa is that S&M? My Havir has a similar gib but with setscrews horizontally to press it into the rams dovetail, and locating that there are three bolts that lock it down.

What circa is that S&M? My Havir has a similar gib but with setscrews horizontally to press it into the rams dovetail, and locating that there are three bolts that lock it down.
No idea how old, the ring oiled motor is mounted with a few specialized castings, looks factory, so that would be my best tell for dating. lathes.co.uk used to have a page on them with an abbreviated timeline, mine looked to be between the 1920s and 50s, from the motor I'd guess the earlier end of that range.

Does your Smith and Mills have taper roller bearings too? I guess that's not too much of a tip off or the date. If as you say it has ring oilers, does it have bronze or babbit bushings? I have a set of circa 1915 bearing blocks made entirely of cast iron with ring oilers and reservoir, so old yet still tight and very low friction. The point is that cast iron alone makes a great bearing if kept lubricated.

Does your Smith and Mills have taper roller bearings too? I guess that's not too much of a tip off or the date. If as you say it has ring oilers, does it have bronze or babbit bushings? I have a set of circa 1915 bearing blocks made entirely of cast iron with ring oilers and reservoir, so old yet still tight and very low friction. The point is that cast iron alone makes a great bearing if kept lubricated.
babbitt on the ring oiled motor bearings
re the tapered rollers, there are some in the gearbox on the bull gear pinion, but the main bullgear bearing is just plain iron

partsproduction:

The item pictured is the Vice Clamp, which holds the Vice to the Work Table. It consists of two parts: B40-142 Vice Clamp and B40-143
Vice Clamp Lever. Both made of Cast Iron. This Clamp is designed to fit both the 24 inch and the 28 inch Friction Shapers. A similar,
but slightly smaller Vice Clamp is used on both the 15 inch and the 20 inch Friction Shapers.

Hendeyman

Back