What's new
What's new

Please help ignorant Australian identify this lathe!

Pauciflora

Plastic
G'day Fellas,

I'm new to this whole machining thing and are looking for some advice. I noticed this beast for sale by an on-line auction house here in Australia called Grays On Line.

I was wondering if anyone could identify this lathe and if they are considered any good.

It is a good 12 hour drive between my house to the pick-up spot. So I'm trying to work out if it would be worth putting in a bid or two.

Cheers,

Ben

Gap bed lathe with thread cutting, unknown manufacturer, automatic feed, 3 Auction (0012-57192) | GraysOnline Australia

Ben,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you haven't got any flood/cyclone/fire problems in your part of Victoria.

I suggest you go to this site and click on any German makers, and see if any aspects compare exactly with yours:-

Machine Tool REFERENCE ARCHIVE

That's the easy part! Even if you do manage to identify the maker, it won't help a great deal with a decision on whether to buy a 80 - 100 year old(?) lathe!

Unknown "Aussie" Lathe

B.E.Elliot, of Britain.

Older( pre-WW II) version of their "Ordnance Factory Lathe". Many sold into the Empire before and during WW II. I have one, which came down thru the Disposal system, first to a Fruit and Vegetable Sorting Machine maker, then, along with the old fitter who worked it, to our new Factory, 1970,( for maintenance work) then to my workshop, and now on the Farm.

The example shown is missing the Headstock Belt Box cover.

Very simple and sturdy lathe, full gearbox, Horse's head with extra gear wheels, Imperial Threading ( from 4TPI to about 80 or so.).

During the war they were used in all sorts of ordnance applications, mostly for Shell Turning ( the Artillery projectiles); Gap bed added to the versatility.

Ours was fitted with a 415VAC three phase motor, as well as reversing switch; set in the headstock pedestal.
There is also a High and Low ratio change lever, with forward and reverse, for the Power advance.

Saddle has Power advance, as well as Power traverse.

I learnt ( from the old guy, now passed) the basics of Turning, Welding, and Fitting, in the 1970s and then the late 1980s when I worked in the Family business. (Vinegar brewing).

I first Identified my Lathe by reading a 1941 edition of "Commonwealth Engineer" which had a advert with photograph of exactly the Lathe we had. ( spotted the photo back in 1983, during a visit to the University of Qld Engineering Library, where in Old Journals, I had found interesting articles about Ordnance Machinery and Rifle trials in the mid-1920s etc--- "Mechanical Engineer" (UK) and "Commonwealth Engineer. (Aus). ).

If the lathe still has its Bronze bearings in good condition, and the bed is OK, you have a very good lathe which will do almost any work up to and including building large scale steam Locomotives.

During the Working life of mine, I had the saddle traversing nuts replaced (new ones cast), and had to re-pin the main lead screw rod ( sheared a pin.).

That shows how strong the machine is.

The Flat belting can still be acquired, and is of the "pinned staple" type common for the era.

It will probably go for Scrap Iron value...about 5-20 cents a Kilo. It weighs about 400 kg. A Hundred or 150 dollars should collar it...then transport is the killer in Aust.

Taree is in Northern NSW, a long way from Sydney. ( actually, closer to Brisbane)

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

PS, Just examined the photos more closely; Despite the "Made in Germany " Plate, the Lathe shown is identical to a BE Elliot. Also, the thread data sheet shows also Metric threads ( courtesy of a 127 tooth gearwheel for the conversion for the Imperial ( 4TPI) lead screw. ( as on mine)

Last edited:

Back