What's new
What's new

How do I remove the carriage on my lathe?

Nathan114312

Plastic
I am wondering how I can remove the carriage on my lathe, I have removed it before I just slid it off the ways. But the problem I am having this time is the gear that moves the carriage along the ways is mangled so I cannot get the carriage to the end of the ways to slide it off. (I want to get it off so I can get a new gear made at my school) any help would be appreciated, maybe I just have to disconnect a couple rods? I do not know much about taking lathes apart.
8f5ec76c898e170389ed8788ddfa1f40.jpg
d6d51361f7c40e259b44f5251b857b9b.jpg
c50896ac68cd28ed27d1417205f58568.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loosen the apron to saddle screws, and remove the right side leadscrew bracket. That should drop the apron enough that the pinion will clear the rack, and you can move it to the end of the bed. Be sure to support the leadscrew and feedrod as you remove the apron, don't want to bend them at the gearbox end.

allan

That lathe looks like a LeBlond, but it says LONDON where the LeBlond usually is.
Was there a connection?

Loosen the apron to saddle screws, and remove the right side leadscrew bracket. That should drop the apron enough that the pinion will clear the rack, and you can move it to the end of the bed. Be sure to support the leadscrew and feedrod as you remove the apron, don't want to bend them at the gearbox end.

allan

Plus 1, but be careful. The apron alone is probably more than half of the entire weigh of the saddle.

I have four similarly (heh 1/2-12) bolts that hold the Flather Apron to the saddle H. Apron is single wall - but more than I dare to hold unassisted on a 20" swing lathe.

And like me, expect at least one of your bolts (I have four) to be somehow buggered in the hole and can't be unscrewed. I'm fortunate in that this last bolt can be seen underneath - and is accessible to be drilled. And Flather conveniently center-drilled their non-standard 1/2-12 bolting (made on a lathe for a lathe.) Drilling "up" from underneath may actually start the bolt unscrewing. Well, one hopes.

Less happy surprises do surprise with greater frequency...

Joe in NH

I see, thanks John. I missed that thread the first time around.
I was thinking from Algeria, London England is just a boat ride away.

Got it loose now, will have to figure a way or get some help to get it off now, because it is so heavy. Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back