What's new
What's new

ATW gearhead clutch questions

gbutler

Aluminum
Okay Ive just gotten around to starting on the ATW lathe. Ive got the saddle and the quickchange box off. (I would post pictures but it seems my wife has run off with my camera.) I will get some pictures added later though.
Anyway the next thing I need to get off is the clutch. Or atleast the drive belt pulley on the clutch. I have decided to go ahead and pull the headstock apart, and quite possibly off.
Does anyone know how the clutch comes apart? There is a plate riveted on that says, "remove this cover to adjust clutch". I cant even figure out exactly how to get it off. It has a setscrew but other than that I dont know. Maybe threaded? I dont want to start trying things and damage it. (A friend and I once spent over an hour removing a gear from a keyed shaft. We used a big puller and a whole lot of heat. It finally came, and then we realized the shaft and gear were designed to be replaced as an assembly. The gear was welded to the shaft from the factory.) I dont want something like that to happen here.
Thanks

The top half of the headstock will come off in the obvious way- though make sure the clutch assy is loose before you start lifting...lol. The top half of the headstock is going to be most unwieldy. If you can find tapped holes into which you can temporarily screw some eyebolts that will help a lot. The lower half is likely to have some bolts on the inside & outside holding it to the bed, and the spindle stays w/ the lower half.

The clutch design evolved considerably on these machines, my old ATW has the clutch inside the headstock with a removable square plate to provide access. My newer 12" ATW has a clutch similar to yours but I have not been inside it.

Greg

Back