What's new
What's new

Hendey 14x30 in the uk

NCForster

Plastic
Hi I am a new member
I have a Hendey 14x30 cone head which i have owned for 12years.
It is a good tool in good condition and at present I am doing some overdue maintenance on it.
I would love to find some more history on this lathe but i cannot find the serial number can any one help.
I believe the machine was made for peter brotherhoods in peterborough uk in 1935. This is a unusual lathe in the uk and i have only seen two others here.
Nick

Welcome Nick - serial will be five digits on top on right end in between two front ways adjacent the pair of screws holding up the RH lead screw bracket stamped into machined cast iron.

Welcome Nick - serial will be five digits on top on right end in between two front ways adjacent the pair of screws holding up the RH lead screw bracket stamped into machined cast iron.

Thank you John
I will check that in the morning
I know that I am the third owner of the lathe I also know that this machine has not had much use for the last 40years of its life in peter brotherhoods it was only used to rewind motors due to having a very low rpm back gear. The head bearings are in fantastic condition with zero lift present and all the feeds etc work fine. There is a little wear in the ways in the last 12" before the chuck but I can still hold a tollerance of a couple of thou over 6" using an old pratt chuck. which for a home workshop is fine and better than the colchester lathe i have at work. it is an old'n but a good'n.

NCForster:

Hendey wouldn't have sold this lathe directly to Peter Brotherhoods, but to their British sellng agent, Alfred Herbert Limited, Coventry, England. From
January 1934 through June 1936, the records show a number of 14 x 30 Cone Head lathes being sold to Alfred Herbert. Please post the serial number so that the hstory of your lathe can be determned.

Hendeyman

serial number

IMG-20120430-00046.jpgIMG-20120505-00049.jpg
NCForster:

Hendey wouldn't have sold this lathe directly to Peter Brotherhoods, but to their British sellng agent, Alfred Herbert Limited, Coventry, England. From
January 1934 through June 1936, the records show a number of 14 x 30 Cone Head lathes being sold to Alfred Herbert. Please post the serial number so that the hstory of your lathe can be determned.

Hendeyman

32753 it also has AD327 stamped above the 5 digit number

Last edited:
NCForster:

Your lathe was not built in 1935 and it wasn't even sold through a Hendey distributor. Here is what I could find in the records.

Hendey lathe # 32753 was one of a group of ten 14 x 30 Cone Head lathes ordered on October 16, 1941 by the United States War Department.
The original order form and routing paper work are not available at this time, but is clear from notes regarding the electric motors that these lathes
were going to be sent to England. The note reads "motors to be wound for 420 volts, 50 cycles", that sounds like something you folks would use.
Again, when the routing paper work is located, I should be able to tell you which British department received the lathes and possibly the final
customer. Your lathe was built during the last week of March 1942.

Hendeyman

NCForster:
Your lathe was built during the last week of March 1942.

Hendeyman
Wow it's really new
when was the last of the cone heads made.
interesting note about the motor I have found the original unit but there was no legend plate on it so I have not refitted it I will now test it and see if its serviceable. I have also recently found the Idle wheel for the back drive and some of the belt mover mountings. thse will also be refitted.
I believe Brotherhoods were a military manufacturer during the war they were a very large concern back then.
Cheers Nick

Back