What's new
What's new

Hure 74

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
Pierre Philippe Hure began production of tools in 1873---Paris
his firm originated the multi axis swivel head miller--
and in my opinion the Hure MVC series is pinnacle of old school knee-horizontal slide millers--but I have never seen one

at some point Hure machines were re-badged Huron

and then I came across this thread------

Ma nouvelle Hure 74

Attachments

• hure-mvc.JPG
    hure-mvc.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 874
  • mvc-4.JPG
    mvc-4.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 701
  • mvc-2.JPG
    mvc-2.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 387
  • mvc-3.JPG
    mvc-3.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 618
Interesting pair of pillars for, presumably, stabilizing the knee. Never saw that before. Twin screws yes but never the forward pillars.
Makes sense, but I can see that adding significant manufacturing cost.

Regards.

Mike

Very nice machines. In the old days demand for them was that high that you could get more for a good 6 month old machine than the price of a new machine. Just like some high end sports cars and " Rolex " watches.

Just looking at the table removal on the other thread. I'm not too impressed with the rigging there. Just one point. The way the sling just runs through the shackle isn't good. If the lift isn't perfectly balanced the whole lot can slide to one side. Once it starts going there's no stopping it.

Two individual slings would be better. Failing that at least run the sling around the pin of the shackle in a loop so it binds the sling.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
The only real drawback with the standard " Huron " machine in my opinion was the lack of a quill on the head.
I've never seen a machine like the one in JHolland's photos that actually addresses this issue.

Regards Tyrone.

+1 on never seeing that style of head on a Huron I have a head similar though much smaller on my Thiel 158.

They did make a quill attachment that fitted to the universal head and I have seen a few of those, but the sliding head pictured above would be very useful.

You've got a Thiel 158? yummy X 2 (even if ya can go off some folk :D) ....... I have fond memories of the 158

A 158S to be precise ,the one with a separate motor on the feeds, which was a good thing until the motor packed up and now I have no feeds.

There was a huron quill head on ebay a few weeks ago , it made £150

Wow, that's cheap. Of course you need the right " Huron " to with it.

I was working at a place a while back now and they had a CNC swivel head bed mill. It was a Spanish " Correa-Anayak ". I was watching the machine while I was waiting for the overhead crane.

They were drilling a 1" hole 20" deep in a steel casting at an angle of roughly 45".

To wood peck the table was moving in and out in conjunction with the head going up and down the column. Watching the machine peck like that was amazing. The drill was about 24" long and it was coming all the way out and going back in again really rapidly.

That would do away with the quill attachment shown in the photos.

Regards Tyrone.

Back