What's new
What's new

HURRY antique lathe CL Wisconsin

cncFireman

Hot Rolled
https://appleton.craigslist.org/gms/d/tractors-trailers-equipment/6559676773.html
00s0s_3m4EZpLDhkA_600x450.jpg
00M0M_kzc0bGrbCMW_600x450.jpg
Looks familiar similar to the Shepard in the Wilkinson Mill...
51829d1336529307-antique-lathe-sale-name-unknown-shepard_lathe_1.jpg

The sale is tomorrow someone call Rob or Tom...

I know the fellow whose stuff this once was. He is in a nursing home now and is never going back home. Wish I could make the auction but glad in some ways I won't be making it. One mans crap is another mans treasure. The weather is absolutely horrible tonight and is not supposed to nice over the weekend. Maybe they will reschedule the auction. I live maybe 30 miles from this stuff. I have to drive a wheel chair van tomorrow and play nurse. So all of you can cherry pick the shop stuff without any interference from me. I would also like to have that lazy-susan parts bin and the baler {I need the PTO drive and slip clutch for one of mine}.

The guy whose stuff this is worked at Kurz &Root for years and years. One of the best "jigs and fixtures" persons I ever met. Like his father his education was limited. But he could fix about anything and was your "ace in the hole" if something broke down. Sorry to go on but I find his auction sad as it is a visible end of an era. I do go see him in the nursing home he is at. Have thought about putting a tractor on the trailer and bring it to him. Let him tell me why it runs the way it does. He would like that. To some you see junk, I see my friends stuff and his life accumulation of stuff that resembles my stuff. Hell I learned from him in a lot of ways.

When I was a young guy with my new farm this gentleman and his father "Gramps" went to all the auctions. You could learn from these guys. Gramps was a "junk" man during the depression and worked for Bachalls, a local scrap yard. Some of the best people I had the pleasure of knowing. Many people is the scrap business are just short of thieves. Gramps had more class than most people regardless of professions. There is a lot of "crap" in the pictures and a lot of it will go into a dumpster. But there are some real treasures I am positive about that. But Crap and Treasures are all in the eyes of the beholder. Sure hope they cancel the auction for weather tomorrow.

If anybody is serious about this lathe and need help let me know. I don't live far from here. But I won't be there tomorrow if anybody is serious about it. Regards, John.

Tom and I have talked to the auctioneer.
The auction is still on.

This was a tough one for the short notice and the weather.
We are suppose to get over 10 inches of snow(snowing right now) with winds of 40 to 50 mph., Friday night into Saturday and ending Sunday.
I did not want to drive 4 1/2 hours in it.

Tom and I have made arrangements to bid on the lathe and have a week or so to pick it up.
We hope to save it from the scrap man and leg thieves.

Rob

Right on. I can't imagine some leg thieves would waste their time at an auction on some farm in Wisconsin but I guess they are everywhere. Good luck on the Auction. As for Handsome Devils friends stuff, it is sad to see and end to someones life. I have brought a few machines home from estate sales and everytime I look around at a shop that at one time was another mans shop.

Rob can't imagine you'll get much competition for it. But if you need it picked up I might be able to help out but once on my trailer it would stay there until you came and got it. My shop is kind of plugged up right now and I don't have a fork lift. But I could pick it up on my gooseneck and tarp it. They are talking up to 18" of snow north. I am right on the current border of 12-18" and 12-8" just off of Wi 29. My crane is kind of buried behind my radial project and could only back in a short ways. Well I will concern myself if asked. Good luck with your traveling.

I am supposed to PU a van, pu a lady take her to a wedding and reception in Green Bay then back to her nursing home and then drive the van 30 miles back to my truck tomorrow night. I feel like staying home and letting it do its thing outside with me watching from my kitchen. Will put on 200 miles in this crap if all goes as planned. I don't like hauling people any more than machinery in this weather. Regards, John.

I won it. So the lathe will get to keep its legs & be safe.
Now I just need to arrange to get it.
Btw, there was no buyer's premium with this auctioneer.
It's been a long time since I've had this good fortune.

Congrats on your quest. Had planned on going to auction but had last minute funeral and later plans in the other direction. Not to mention that I might of returned home with more junk. Would of liked to have made that one. I suspect Willard had a lot of treasures hidden that would of tripped my trigger. Your lathe was safe from me all along by the way. We got 33" of snow last weekend but the drifts are dropping fast. So if I can be of any help ask.
Regards, John

Back