What's new
What's new

I need help identifying the model of this Bridgeport machine and what its value is

MENOSTRUCKSALES

Plastic
Hello everyone.

I found this Bridgeport machine in my fathers garage and I would like to find out a little more about it. What model is it? How old is it? What is its sale value? Does it still look usable. Any tips, advice or comments would help.

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 532
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 470
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 457
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 457
Looks very much like my Series 1, J-head, 1967 model.

If you wipe the dust off the knee dove tail you should find the serial number, then you can find a description on the web.

Just a common J-head step belt mill. Value? that entirely depends on location and condition.

Looking as it does (filthy, abandoned, world's worst paint),... $400. Cleaned up, working ok (assuming it does) and average wear. $1500-$2000 (here).

Thank you. We will be pulling the machine out of the garage tomorrow to get a real good look at it. I will update you guys with the serial numbers.

Clean the way surfaces before moving the saddle or table.
Otherwise debris will be carried into the machined way surfaces and may jam it up.
Same goes for the spindle. The outside diameter is chrome but it too will stick.
Best way to get a feel for the state of the machine is to run it. It is three phase. It
helps a lot when selling if the buyer actually hears it run.
The hex heads that clamp the head in position are 3/4".
That both head for the worm gear that lifts the assembly up is also
3/4". A 1/2" drive ratchet and a socket are all that is needed.
John

Where are you located? It is probably worth more in the North where not many machine tools exist.
If you are near Modesto Rayco will probably come out and buy all or most of the machining tools and tooling and haul it off.
Bill D.
Modesto, CA

At least you looked at it before buying it, I assume. I'll never take the seller's word on a machines condition again without seeing it run.

Some people's consciences are seared by many years of justifying deceit for their god money. It's a part of the downward stepping stairs to psychopathy.

At least you looked at it before buying it, I assume. I'll never take the seller's word on a machines condition again without seeing it run.

Some people's consciences are seared by many years of justifying deceit for their god money. It's a part of the downward stepping stairs to psychopathy.

Where in this thread did somebody say anything about buying it?

One involves an exchange of money, and one involves time and effort.

And how did you get the money? Most of us exchange labor, so for most of us labor and money are two forms of the same thing. Not an exchange certainly but unless you are selling it for scrap you will need to lavish either time or money on it.

Just a common J-head step belt mill. Value? that entirely depends on location and condition.

Looking as it does (filthy, abandoned, world's worst paint),... $400. Cleaned up, working ok (assuming it does) and average wear. $1500-$2000 (here).

So I'm not the only one looking at it as an investment of one or the other.

But this is the plague of the internet, always someone to snipe at a stranger, after all it's an anonymous media. I have met people who are rude stranger to stranger in person though, that's true. :rolleyes5:

And how did you get the money? Most of us exchange labor, so for most of us labor and money are two forms of the same thing. Not an exchange certainly but unless you are selling it for scrap you will need to lavish either time or money on it.

So I'm not the only one looking at it as an investment of one or the other.

But this is the plague of the internet, always someone to snipe at a stranger, after all it's an anonymous media. I have met people who are rude stranger to stranger in person though, that's true. :rolleyes5:

Just a gentle reminder to read posts carefully before taking up Don's bandwidth with a non-applicable answer.

And, I'm sorry, but you aren't going to convince me that paying money for a machine- which was never under discussion here- and fixing it up are the "same thing". By that logic, growing carrots myself or buying them at the supermarket are the "same thing", as are changing my tires myself or paying someone to do it.

A guess is $500 to $1500 depending on the ways and screws. Maybe 2-2.5K if you spend effort to clean up and get under power.
Perhaps also some tooling (collets, cutters, etc.) to go with it as a package?
The quill is not in nice shape....do not retract it without clean up.
Does the shop also include a lift truck so that you can load it for free for the buyer?
It looks ridden hard and put up wet but you can not tell how tight it may be from pictures.
For sure clean and shiny sells for more and there is a sucker born every minute.
Bob

For sure clean and shiny sells for more and there is a sucker born every minute.
Bob
Bob -

Makes me think of the advice the woman who owned the local clothing store gave to my one brother in law over 50 years ago (high school job) - 'Never sell anything without putting on a fresh coat of paint and don't ever buy anything with a fresh coat of paint'.

She (and her husband) ran a successful business for many years.

Dale

Just a gentle reminder to read posts carefully before taking up Don's bandwidth with a non-applicable answer.

Read all the posts, tell me what % of the posts addressed 100% the applicable answer. There are many responses that seem based on the same assumption, that the question is related to either restoration or cost, and that either to buy it or sell it.

So, why pick on me, or were you going to get around to making sure everyone else's posts were perfect according to you?

Back