What's new
What's new

identify this camelback?

Bevel gear up top? Why is the cone and shaft up w/ out the bevel?
Why has the current owner decided to sell rather than finish?
I like that table.

I'll put a wild guess out there of a buffalo?

Offer $20 and a 6 pack! Who knows?! :D

Doug S.

It's a Champion Forge & Blower Co., which is identical to a Royersford Excelsior with the exception of the table slots (Royersfords have four T slots and Champions have multiple straight-through slots). It will weigh 900-1000 lbs.
You could probably find a more complete one for $150 or less with a little searching.
Andy

I agree with Andy that it's a Champion, probably a 1920's or so vintage. Even without the back gears, it would still be a nice big drill press. $150 sounds cheap to me, considering that the owner has already done the bulk of the dirty work. And since he was restoring it for himself, he probably did a good quality job on the cleaning and painting.

I agree with Andy that it's a Champion, probably a 1920's or so vintage. Even without the back gears, it would still be a nice big drill press. $150 sounds cheap to me, considering that the owner has already done the bulk of the dirty work. And since he was restoring it for himself, he probably did a good quality job on the cleaning and painting.

Bruce, it also appears to be missing the top shaft bevel gear, unless it's included and just not installed. If it's included, $150 isn't such a bad deal. Particularly on the west coast, I suppose- around here we don't pay much for those drills.
Andy

I'll concede on the champion as the casting matches, and I'll admit it was my first inclination, but it seemed too easy. ;) So, where's the power down feed mech.? I see the pulleys on the top shaft, but not the rest of the mechanism.

IF he as the parts, and all looks ok ( check bearing "slop"/ shaft wiggle ) and it were me, I'd give the $150. Just remember you will probably not be able to purchase parts. They will need to be made. I'd be proud to own a Humpback DP ;) KEEPING IN MIND, I'd first offer the $20 and the beer!

Doug S.

Yeah, I saw the missing bevel gear, and I also wondered about power down feed. Seller says he has all parts except back gears, so maybe he has this stuff.

I have a Canedy Otto rust bucket that I thought I'd restore, but it has only lever downfeed and table has quite a few holes. This CL one looks like a lot less work and nicer features (if part there).

I know camelbacks are a dime a dozen back east, but they are surprisingly rare out here, or else they are all hiding somewhere. Only seen 3 or 4 on CL in the last couple years.

$150 is like a few lattes here in SF Bay Area! And at 900 pounds, he could almost get that at the scrapper, except of course it costs $50 of gas to drive to the scrapper.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I asked seller if there was a name embossed in the casting and he replied with "it's a Fairbanks". Rather than ask where he got the name I figure I'll just go look at it.

Back