What's new
What's new

Identification of vise table revisited (Further examination)

TheHeavyMetal

Plastic
I dropped out of orbit to get these images.I may have sacrificed some monetary value in degrading the patina,but my history lesson is the priority.I offer for your consideration the intended purpose of the table.I concede that there may be some welding in the construction and the fact that more care was given to the underside surface than the top that this may be a stand.the curious lugs at opposing corners may support this theory

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2176.jpg
    IMG_2176.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 267
How many threads do you intend to start on this one Vice Table? So far you are up to three that I know about....

I think you, and the forum as a whole, would be better served if you kept this subject all in one thread. Please....

I dropped out of orbit to get these images.I may have sacrificed some monetary value in degrading the patina,but my history lesson is the priority.I offer for your consideration the intended purpose of the table.I concede that there may be some welding in the construction and the fact that more care was given to the underside surface than the top that this may be a stand.the curious lugs at opposing corners may support this theory

Well, if you're offering up those things for sale, and not just posting nudie pics to scandalize us, then I'd be interested in that green vise in the first two shots depending on price and shipping cost, of course. Putting an asking price on the items (clearly ID'd) will get you some positive responses.

On the bench/table/whatsit, it's curious the top seems much more weathered than the sides, not sure if that's from standing water harbor or seaside, but could be. I'd noted the two thicker pads at the corners, but the small though holes didn't seem to warrant the extra thickness, so I'm not sure if they're for lifting or some other reason.

How many threads do you intend to start on this one Vice Table? So far you are up to three that I know about....

I think you, and the forum as a whole, would be better served if you kept this subject all in one thread ^^^, and on some other website entirely ^^^. Please....

There. Fixed that.

This is deranged.

PM bans the discussion of certain machinery, even brand-new, to hold to a reasonably "industrial" standard.

Then allows repeat-offender ragpicker-trolling? Joke has run its course. Ain't funny no more.

Take that trash, AKA "valuable treasure" to a damned yard sale. Or the nearest effing landfill.

We have more than enough of our own to trip-over, already, and it is generally in far better working order. Just not worth any sort of public circle-jerk, virtual, or otherwise.

There. Fixed that.

This is deranged.

PM bans the discussion of certain machinery, even brand-new, to hold to a reasonably "industrial" standard.

Then allows ragpicker-trolling? Joke has run its course. Ain't funny no more.

Take that trash, AKA "valuable treasure" to a damned yard sale. Or the nearest effing landfill.

We have more than enough of our own to trip-over, already, and it s generally in working order.

Do you ever sleep? I'm starting to think the Dance Master (Gordon) was almost right, but reversed, and you're actually five different people around the world writing as Monarchist.

We've had other picker's here, and some of that stuff isn't junk, so aside from the obtuseness of the writing (which You can't complain too much about) and that it's a first-post sale (which has also been accepted as long as it's not abused) then what the hey...

Do you ever sleep?
Not in the conventional sense, no. Go ogle "Dolphin sleep". Fully ambidextrous humans can do the same. DoD put both traits to good use. Quite a few of us, actually. After which it was the "new normal" if it had not already been so.
some of that stuff isn't junk,

Having kitted out a great deal of my shop with serious QUALITY goods bought from over two-dozen other PM members - several vises included - I have scant issue were it not

A) lesser grade goods, and hardly uncommon

B) far worse - being presented the way it is, and over and over and over... lather, rinse, repeat.. again.

Not a "flowery prose" issue at all. Behavioural, rather. Makes Gordon look thoughtful, in tune with the world, even wise, by comparison.

There ARE SEVERAL better places for those "goods".

Nothing prevents PM members visiting those as well as PM. Many do exactly that.

Horses for courses.

Do you ever sleep? I'm starting to think the Dance Master (Gordon) was almost right, but reversed, and you're actually five different people around the world writing as Monarchist.

We've had other picker's here, and some of that stuff isn't junk, so aside from the obtuseness of the writing (which You can't complain too much about) and that it's a first-post sale (which has also been accepted as long as it's not abused) then what the hey...

That's been my theory for a long while. " Monarchist " is actually a cabal of retired engineers or maybe " An Infinity Of Monkeys ".

Regards Tyrone

That's been my theory for a long while. " Monarchist " is actually a cabal of retired engineers or maybe " An Infinity Of Monkeys ".

Regards Tyrone

Surely you'd have no problem with "all of the above" would you?

:)

I mean, given the general disdain rank & file have of bean counters and "Upper Level Management", that's probably as polite a label as I'm likely to get, regardless.

And, of course, we are impervious to that. It was our Day Job, after all..

@TheHeavyMetal - please consider adding additional detail & pictures of the vise/press/table to threads you have already started about them. Doing so helps readers follow the discussion more easily.

Forgive me for I know not what the hell Im doing.being a social vegan( avoiding the meet)has left me with substandard communication skills.you are spot on with your "flint era"assessment,at least with the navigations on this site.I can appreciate your frustration for I to am intolerant and thin skinned.thank you for your patience.I will do better.

Forgive me for I know not what the hell Im doing.being a social vegan( avoiding the meet)has left me with substandard communication skills.you are spot on with your "flint era"assessment,at least with the navigations on this site.I can appreciate your frustration for I to am intolerant and thin skinned.thank you for your patience.I will do better.
You would not happen to be Noah Brown would you????
Your speaking pattern remind me of him....

Alaskan Bush People Alaskan Bush People - Google Search

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just take Greg's guidance to heart. You can run one thread ten years and those who are not interested pay it no mind.

Start multiplying one on same-same content into "many", as if it were over-sexed field mice, same dirty-old hand-tools, it is in too many faces, makes some of us react as if it were dandelions invading wall-to-wall carpet in the sitting room.

From liquid to solid

The character of the tabletop is,I believe as it always has been since the day it was poured.if a machine sat atop it would be nonissue.yes?unless someone gives it a name I will put it to bed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 102
Aw there we are

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
Chas. Parker Vises: There are now TWO of them in this discussion!

There are now TWO Chas. Parker vises in this discussion !

The Chas. Parker 289-1/2 vise in Post #15 of this thread is not the same piece as the Chas. Parker vise in Post #1. (The one in Post #1 is bolted to the low bench with the rigging vise, the pipe vise, etc.)

You can confirm that this is correct by studying all the photos scattered in three threads. The 289-1/2 is a deep-jawed model without any "anvil" area on the rear jaw. The one on the heavy steel bench is a more commonplace model which does have an anvil area on the rear jaw.

General comments about Chas. Parker vises from Meriden CT:

1) They are subject to damage by being dropped on their nose. The "garter" - the part that rides in the retention groove on the screw, is a casting which breaks easily. It is common to encounter Parker vises with a shop-made replacement for the garter.

2) The replaceable jaw faces have an odd profile which is much more difficult to fabricate then the rectilinear shape of most vise jaws. (Folk wisdom says that the Parker Co. wanted the replacement jaw market to themselves. This must be considered to be speculation.)

3) The wrench like handle on the swivel base is often missing. This handle is supposed to be "captive", but they've been known to go MIA.

4) A Parker is a high-quality vise which was successfully marketed at a premium price to people who knew what made a good vise. Like any tool, they can be ruined by abuse, but they are well-designed and well-constructed. [Except maybe for that non-malleable garter!]

The current going price around these parts (Central NJ) for an intact Parker vise is $2 to $3 per pound.

I wish to make a mild protest against the general lack of clarity of this thread. It took me a while to realize that the OP was suddenly introducing photos of a second Parker vise without any description that this is NOT the vise bolted to the table under discussion. Please be careful to write so that we can understand it.

That said, I believe Parker vises, which have not been made in nearly a century, do qualify as high-quality, professionally useful, and "interesting" Antique Machines which have a History.

John Ruth
Who considers the "anvil area" on the back of a bench vise to be an open invitation to abuse by ham-fisted clods.

My problem is the thread has become so convoluted that you have to spend time trying to make sence of it... That's the reason I've lost all intrested in reading it..

OP use plain language, decriptions for your pictures and keep on subject.

Either ask a question or make a statement in your writing... I don't have the time try translate what you are trying to express!

Please....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boy thats a mouthful!sorry about my edicate.I didnt know the difference between a thread or post.I love old iron and the history of our progression.I still dont know how to present or inquire at a positively productive form.I'm learning, Thank you for the reply,especially the part about the history of my vises (as in many)

978,289 1/2 parker inquiry

I found through a e-bay ad that parker cast dates are punched on the beams and was wondering if other manufacturers did this? Are there records of production numbers,especially the parkers.I have not seen any other 289 1/2's.its a great vise but how many are out there?what do the 1/2's indicate? and is that 978 the biggest parker?I hope my days of killin vises are over and since there was a high mortality rate ive acquired a surplus.but if theres one that is a coveted relic. I think I should sell. Bonus questions who and when built the ugly one

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 86
I found through a e-bay ad that parker cast dates are punched on the beams and was wondering if other manufacturers did this? Are there records of production numbers,especially the parkers.I have not seen any other 289 1/2's.its a great vise but how many are out there?what do the 1/2's indicate? and is that 978 the biggest parker?I hope my days of killin vises are over and since there was a high mortality rate ive acquired a surplus.but if theres one that is a coveted relic. I think I should sell. Bonus questions who and when built the ugly one

Much, much better :)

Thank you.

Back