What's new
What's new

Identify Jewelry Lathe Please

gcrown22

Plastic
Hi- I was wondering if anyone here can help identify this lathe for me, I cant find any marks on it. Almost all the parts are brass on it. It measures about 25" long and about 12.5" tall.
I currently am selling this on the major auction site and would love to know more about before its gone. Thanks to anyone for the help. Does this have a pretty high value to it? Age of it?

Antique Brass Jewelers Watch Lathe - eBay (item 190397228600 end time May-22-10 13:26:09 PDT)

lathe.jpg

lathe2.jpg

Last edited:
Swiss or French, mid-19th century. The face plate and jaw arrangement is for holding watch plates while using a tool in the slide rest to cut recesses for wheels.

There was a major auction a couple of weeks ago and you can search through the results of 761 lots for similar lathes and see what they sold for. Just remember you are not getting the same bunch of bidders as the Crom collection did. Items documented in his books have an additional value. For starters, see lot 22, which sold for much more than what the appraisers thought it would. That would be the Crom effect.

Skinner auction 2502:
http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&st=D&sale_no=2502+++

Larry

Lathe

The lathe does not look right as the drive pulley is at a right angle to the spindle pulley. It is missing a pair of direction changing pulleys or someone hung the drive pulley on a temporary mount.

JRW

One could almost imagine that the single pulley (no belt on it in the photo)
above the spindle pulley, could serve to do the job of changing the drive
90 degrees.

This is right.... see how the belt (piece of gut) goes?..... these are a bit strange compared to American stuff.... and they are made both left or right hand.....

DSCN5663.jpg

Now see what has happened this time...... information is given and the ebay listing is pulled and re-listed starting at $ 1500......

Antique Brass Swiss Mandrel 19th Century - eBay (item 190397977071 end time May-25-10 09:22:05 PDT)

I will guess it will get no bids on ebay and if it goes in a Skinner's sale the owners cut after sale will be much less the $ 1500. Remember that was "The Ted Crom" auction.

That is just my guess.... these are nice but not rare, I have seen dozens of them and they often sell around a thousand bucks as suspect this one would have done on ebay..... people love a unreserved auction with a low starting price......

yep.... figured that would happen. Knew perfectly well what it was (from reading Goodrich), but saw no reason to explain it all to a new person who appeared to be here simply for info that he could easily have gotten himself.....

oh, well, you guys get the appraisal fee, and I don't........:rolleyes5:

Back