What's new
What's new

Index 645 Turret Mill, Prepurchase inspection

5ubtle

Plastic
Hi,

I am considering the purchase of an Index 645 turret mill (manufactured in 1965). The motor is 440VAC 3 phase, and power isn't available to run it prior to purchase. If it could run, I would perform a few test cuts to see if everything is OK. Since it can't run, I would like to inspect it for worn (or loose) parts prior to purchase.

A description of the mill is: http://www.lathes.co.uk/index/

Can someone suggest some important checks to be performed (or point me to a website discussing such)?

Thank you,
Andy

Well i would check turret and head rotation,tip head to left as far as possible and see if watery/oil mix runs out.Not a bad thing but you will then need to clean gear box and check parts and regrease.Check axis wheels for backlash .Also check drawbar for backlash the splines that go thru pulley to drive spindle may have wear. I cured mine by removing pulley cleaning it and believe it or not used Cerakote to coat splines ,it took the play out .Cerakote is a gun coating and you must follow instructions and bake in an oven. It is really a tough coating.Since you cannot run it you will not know if Spindle,motor,and idler pulley may need bearings.Ans of course check the ways. I have a 645 and have done many of these things to it except for spindle which is still good. They are good machines I used a static converter at first it is only a 1HP motor ,but now use a VFD so much nicer for speed control instead of belt changing.IMG_20170428_144301.jpg

When I coated splines it was on the pulley it is easier then pulling splined shaft out.Forgot to mention that

Back