What's new
What's new

Index Model 40 40H Pics

Chopper Gary

Plastic
Hey All,

I am new to this Site and noticed there are not to many pics of the Old Index Model 40 / 40H mill listed in here so I thought I would post some pics to see have many of us are really out there

Mine is 1945 and was originally shipped to in Riverside, Ca. (dont know what company)

I use it every week, I have almost ALL of the original accesories that came with it, 9" and 12" aTa Rotary Tables, B&S #9 Tooling (6 Mill Holders, 2 Universal "Z" Collets Holders, 50+ "Z" Collets, Boaring head, Jacobs Drilling Head and a few other gadgets..

The mill is missing a few things (the Venier on the front and the Venier window thingy on the side

This mill does not have the Power Table Option (it looks like it never did, no mounting holes or any weld marks of where it may have been

I also didnt like so much the open belts at the top so I made my own

Feel free to let me know your thoughts,

And if anyone have a original Manual that they can copy it would be appreciated

Gary

The early Index mills were pretty small machines. During the "boom" times for the company in the 50's and 60's, the mills became ever larger. I can't remember the weights on the 40 series mills, but 1500 pounds sounds about right. By the late fifties, Index's standard vertical mills were the 50 series, of which I own a 1957 Super 55. This mill is much more substantially built, has a much larger table and column, and a knee that is twice the size of the one used in the 40 series. I think it weighs around 2300 pounds, perhaps more.

The early Index mills were pretty small machines. During the "boom" times for the company in the 50's and 60's, the mills became ever larger. I can't remember the weights on the 40 series mills, but 1500 pounds sounds about right. By the late fifties, Index's standard vertical mills were the 50 series, of which I own a 1957 Super 55. This mill is much more substantially built, has a much larger table and column, and a knee that is twice the size of the one used in the 40 series. I think it weighs around 2300 pounds, perhaps more.
JD, you are just about spot on for the weight and description..

Yes these are not phisicaly large machines but it is amasing the amout of power they have, I also have a Bridgeport with a 2J head and interesting enough it has the same size motor (1/2 hp 220v 3ph) and spindle speed (about 1750rpm) though my Bridgeport has more versitility it doesnt have the charm that this little mill has...(the Index is also very quiet and smooth)

Bryan, FYI the Table is only 30in and the over all highth (to top of motor) is about 78-80"

Last of that catalog

Here is the last Page of the above
Catalog

Index40page14.jpg

Attachments

• model 40.jpg
    model 40.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,156
  • model 40 -2.jpg
    model 40 -2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 651
  • model 40 3.jpg
    model 40 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 721
  • model 40 4.jpg
    model 40 4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 569
Thank you for all that Gary, a very nice 40H. I like everything about yours, especially that nicely fabricated, brushed aluminum belt guard, which if it were on my machine, I'd hang on the wall as art.

In the forties, I pondered with facination at the washing machine motor with which my grandpa had motorized the old ice cream freezer. I carefully reached out to touch the belt and it whiped my finger around the pulley in a flash. Took me a shocked moment to understand what had happened. I hid my swollen finger from the others at diner, felt stupid. Since then, I don't stick any body parts into moving machinery, so I don't want any shields in my way but OSHA never visits my home shop and for their own good, had better not!

Wish mine were so nicely equipped, though I do have the X feed and like you, the B&S #9 to Z collets, hardly ever take the collet chuck out. The 1/2" Z collet fits the 1/2" arbor for my 14N jacobs chuck and other consessions to the Z collets. I like wrenching at the spindle nose rather than the draw bar up top.

I also like the supreme rigidity of that solid floor to head-swivel iron casting.
Rock solid little mill.

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for your comments

Are you really in Hesperia?

I live in Utah, but I was born in Apple Valley and grew up in Victorville...VVHS class of 82

My family came into the Victor Valley way back in the 30's..

Old thread, I know, but I'm looking for a small mill and wondering about the model 40 footprint - the catalog page posted states 46" front to back. Any owners out there that can confirm that? Seems like an awful lot for a small machine that has the motor up top. Also, other than the column, can the pieces of a model 40 be carried by two people? The knee looks a bit heavy.

Paul

I would guess the mill is closer to 36 front to back, but I'll have to confirm after I get home. I think it is an excellent light mill. Mine was re-scraped just before I got it so it is very tight and smooth. The B&S 9 tapered tooling is available or Wells Index will regrind your to R8 for a reasonable price. Mine actually has a Tree head fitted so I can't comment on the spindle operation.

I think the mill is supposed to weigh 1250 lbs all up? The table is about all two guys would want to handle. The knee looks big, but it is hollow. Never had mine off to weigh, but I might finally take it apart to get it down stairs. I was figuring on the main casting to be 400-450 lbs, as a guess and most of the large major components in the 200lb neighborhood.

Those manual pictures look like mine. I sent them to a few people a couple years ago.

I have been lurking on the forum for a while (I have a SB Heavy 10 and an old Powermatic 1100 DP) and just finally joined. I just bought a Wells 40H mill. I am hoping for some assistance with the power feed. It works fine but most everything to do with the system that stops the power feed at both ends is missing. Best I can gather it is a piece of 3/8 round with some lock collars on it. What I do not under stand is how that releases the feed lever. Any pics or words of advice would be appreciated. I will add some more pics later on if I can.20180410_163606.jpg20180410_163724.jpg20180410_172403.jpg

Sorry I am new to the forum and didn't figure out immediately how to start a new thread. Thanks for the suggestion though. I did stare at is long enough to figure it our in the mean time. This forum has a boat load of info it is great.

Back