What's new
What's new

bearing adjustment Rivett 608 headstock?

JST

Diamond
Manual (Army) says "snug but not tight"...... which amounts to a pretty meaningless statement AFAIK....... Especially for a two angle plain journal nose bearing and a split tapered tail bearing.... I don't know anything about any 'snugness" on such a thing.....

is there any better description elsewhere?

Manual (Army) says "snug but not tight"...... which amounts to a pretty meaningless statement AFAIK....... Especially for a two angle plain journal nose bearing and a split tapered tail bearing.... I don't know anything about any 'snugness" on such a thing.....

is there any better description elsewhere?

I have a small lathe with a pair of parallel journals of steel (spindle) on cast iron (headstock) if I have it too tight it will run fine from cold but won't start once warmed for a few minutes as the reasonably loose V belt can't overcome the friction. Also it goes from running slightly warm to noticeably warmer/hot on the headstock casting. I'd be inclined to just keep an eye on temps when it's running to begin with.

I was told if the machine is cold and the headstock gets a little warm after running that is about right..... if it gets too hot to touch the headstock then it is too tight.

I was told if the machine is cold and the headstock gets a little warm after running that is about right..... if it gets too hot to touch the headstock then it is too tight.

Thanks...

Clearly that is correct...... but I'd reckon that if it DID get too hot to touch it might be rubbing, and that would be bad......

I'm kinda OK adjusting the small Boley with similar bearings, but don't really know how that translates to a far bigger spindle like the 608 (4-5 x larger linear dims).

BOTH too loose AND too tight will have bad effects of causing rubbing, I believe, so..... I'm pretty sure the "loose" end of that would be noticeable, so maybe I just "sneak up" on it, looking for a 5- 10C rise.

I know with mine sometimes if I run it let say an hour it will get pretty warm..... also when it starts to get warm I shoot a little more oil in the oil cups and that cools it down and smooths it out just a little (maybe)........ I rarely use the machine for more than a few minutes at a time. I do 95 % or more of my work on a smaller lathe and that sometimes runs 12 hours a day........

Back