What's new
What's new

info on a Pratt and Whitney Lathe

Paul Van Sickle

Plastic
I need some info on a Pratt and Whitney Lathe I bought last year. It has a 16" swing and about 36" between centers. It was originally set up for overhead flat belt drive, but was converted using a Drive-all unit. The previous owner replaced half of the headstock to modify it with ball bearings. Does anyone have any photos of what this monster would have looked like before it was "modified". Even with the butchering that was done to it, I can still get to hold within a thou or two if I'm careful. Thanks to anyone who can help, I really appreciate it.

Paul

yankee,

Thanks for the link, the pictures aren't great but they have some odd looking old stuff. The slotter was something, and the planer, very ornate.

Yes, the vertical slotter is amazing with the fluted Roman column for it's column and all, isn't it ? Assume of the three planers shown you're referring to the middle one. I recall Ed Battison telling me that machine came from South America, but was made in the USA...can't recall the make. They have a Putnam planer that is quite ornate also, I could post a picture of it if interested.

(gawd, whoever did the awful pictures/scan work for their website should be taken out back to the woodshed !)

Back