What's new
What's new

Insert tool holders from 1901

rivett608

Diamond
The idea of a toolholder with replaceable inserts has been around a while.... this one was patented on July 2 1901 by THE O.K. TOOL HOLDER CO. of Sheldon Conn... this is their complete set, size "B", with internal threading and knurling tools..... all inserts are made of "Jessops Steel" according to the catalog, what's that? Always nice to see tools that the makers were proud of... note the brass plate and nice stamping on the side of the holder.
OKtoolholder.jpg

What size do you have? I want a size "A" set for my Rivetts... it has 3/8 by 3/4 holder... this isthe "B" at 1/2 by 1 and the size "C" is 5/8 by 1 1/4.....

What you have is the toolholder set for a vert.shaper (slotter or jumpingjack), thay are still made today but thay are very pricy, the toolsteel now is 8% cobalt. Thay were not a true incert but a form ground tool that could be resharpend, Very handy for cutting keys and gears, and splines....Phil in Mt

Had a good sized set for the Gray open side planer when I was at Enpro. The broad flat ones for finishing cast iron with about a 3/4" feed per stroke......

John

A similar, perhaps interchangable, set was sold under the Apex name. A year or two ago, I got a set of holders and inserts intended for a large shaper or planer. The fellow was a retired machinist from the Westinghouse Electric East Pittsburgh plant.

Since they were too large for anything I had, I sold them. Then last year, I found a cake pan full of Apex inserts at a flea market which I sold to the same fellow. If I had not known there was a user for them, I would probably have passed by them at the flea market.

P.Isaac

Phil & others..... these earlier sets were sold for lathe or shapers.... their catalog page from 1906 mainly mentions features for lathe work such as knurling, a cut-off, the 1/4" boring and internal threading bar and a drop holder (like the one shown) for lathes with lower center heights. I think later these were found to work better in shapers and planers. And there were some other companies making a similar thing either under O.K.'s patents or after they expired. Also they offered the larger sizes with "Novo" tool steel for about 30% more.

I am not clear on how the holder grips the toolbits.

Do you have another view?

Looks like some sort of pin must come upinto the bottom of the bit, drawn in by the visible drawbar and block that the handle presumably activates.

I think the large handle on the backside
of the toolholder tightens up a clamp,
via a screw that extends through the
holders length. The 'insert' is probably
clamped down by the clamp nut at the
working end.

I think each 'insert' has a vertical pin
that extends downwards into the clamp,
so the insert it pulled up into the tool
body.

The presence of the pin is inferred from
the hole in the box, where the one
mounted insert is missing from the array
of different types.

It would be neat to see this diassembled.

Jim

Wow, ask and ye shall receive! ( I should
have asked for something different...)

Great shot of the color case hardening
on the shank of the tool, it wasn't
at all apparent in the original. Nice
stuff.

Jim

Thanks

Very clear pics.

I totally missed the hole in the box.

Here is another attachment for the holder. It is a boring bar and an internal threading bar. Note the groove along the entire length that is held in place so it doesn't turn. sorry about the fuzzy pic.

toolholder002.jpg

toolholder001.jpg

Rivett,

You asked about Jessops Steel. Jessop’s started making steel in Sheffield early in the 19th century. Presumably they set up shop in the USA at some point – see this extract from the Allegheny Ludlum website:-

‘In 1994, we purchased Jessop Steel in Washington, Pennsylvania, a premier producer of specialty steel and tool steel plate whose history dates back to the very beginning of stainless steel in Sheffield, England.’

i have a lathe tool holder stamped 1866 i think w/ company name also.it arrived w/ a monarch A from mass...takes a sq bit at a vertical angle & set in so it presents a diamond shape to the work .....had to surface grind a 5/16 bit down to 9/32 to insert it ( proprietary garbage again ) if anyone wants a pic, i can send a jpeg to whoever will post it.( yeah , i did learn how to downsize them ,John...but it was painful )
cant believe they used bits/holders in 1866

best wishes
docn8as

I have several of these cutters,I think with 1/2" shanks.I didn't know what they were for till now.I thought I might could use them in my Bridgeport slotting attach.

Back