What's new
What's new

Interesting old capstan lathe UK ebay

Just guessing, but I'd say from the early to mid thirties...possibly earlier... judging by the general construction. Little "turret" or "monitor" lathes as we call them, can be very useful for turning out quantities of identical parts.....a lot of fun. It has no screw cutting abilities that I can see though, so you'd be restricted to using a threading tool of some sort in the turret.

timbrell and wright turret lathe

Hi all,
I got one, here is a pic of it! It has "lost" the flat belt pulley and has a quick action cross slide, but other than that it is the same model!
Regards,
Croz

Attachments

• CIMG1715 (Small)timbrell.jpg
    CIMG1715 (Small)timbrell.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 7,151
Small capstan/turret lathes

Here are some pics of an old Mikron, I have never seen this type, I rescued it from a skip (dumpster is the term our American friends use!), and I have tooled it up and used it! fitted with a vee belt and inverter, BTW
Croz

Attachments

• CIMG1709 (Small)mikron1.jpg
    CIMG1709 (Small)mikron1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,274
  • CIMG1710 (Small)mikron.jpg
    CIMG1710 (Small)mikron.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,976
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I found your Forum while searching for information about this lathe. Yes, I bought it :) Actually, that's not quite true. The original buyer apparently turned up, said it was too heavy and went away. Quite what he expected from a cast iron lump I'm not sure. Tony Griffiths ( [email protected] ) had contacted the Seller for some pictures for his Website/Archive ( lathes ), and when the buyer dipped out Tony contacted me. Anyway, I rescued it before it went to the scrap man. Tony has started a Page about these lathes ( Page Title ) but at the moment it's a bit thin as it's based on this one and a couple of bits of information we've managed to dig up. I'm sure he's like to hear from croz so that he can add some better pictures. He also has a Mikron Page so he'd also like to hear about that as well as he doesn't have any decent pictures of the capstan installed on the lathe. Have a look at his Website if you don't know it already.

As for me, well I'm not sure that I'm going to be much use to you modern machinists, but I might be of some use to people with old stuff, and perhaps on the Electrical and Electronic side of things.

Cheers

Alan

JRR,
That's an idea, although first I've got to get it 'sorted'. It's currently missing two and a half jibs, a half decent cross slide feed, some way of holding the tooling in place and a drive. Peanuts really :) However, I have made it a handle.
I'm hoping Croz will help with info.
Seriously, as I'm new I've been browsing round the Forum. I have to say that as far as old machinery is concerned it all looks horribly normal. I didn't need it, I didn't want it and I haven't enough room for it, but I couldn't see it scrapped, could I?
Alan

Did you all see the other old English lathe that eBay helpfully linked from the turret lathe sale?

Vintage Small Cast Iron Lathe on eBay (end time 19-Oct-10 19:35:01 BST)

At an opening bid of 99 P, I expect it will find a new home. The lathe is more for wood than metal, I think, though the only distinction when it was made was in whether a dog driving plate or chuck can be fitted to the spindle. I was taken by the big looped nuts for clamping the T-rest and tailstock, which remind me of the classic rose engine lathes made in the early-mid 1800's. The headstock spindle bearing design is from that period, too. The pulley is shallow V-grooved for gut band drive, probably from a foot power.

Larry

Hi Alan,

Pleased to see that someone rescued it even though it was not as a result of my posting on this forum. Also from someone just up the road in Burton.

Don

Back