What's new
What's new

Interesting old lathe, Rochester NY CraigsList

wheels17

Stainless
Machine Lathe

This is an unusual (to me) lathe. 5 speed step pulley, with separate feed and threading shafts. The feed shaft looks to be belt driven. The seller thinks it's an " Ogden R. Adams " lathe, but that's the name of an old time machinery dealer here in Rochester. Long spindle....

There were several machine tools made in Rochester.
I Remember seeing an article in an old magazine about a lathe much like a older non tie bar Hendey with a Norton style quick change box on it and I think I posted about it here some where but I can’t find it at the moment .
There were some similarities with the one in question here.
There may be some connection with the company that made the Porter Cable Lathes in Rochester this thread but it isn’t really the one I was looking for.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/porter-cable-246114/
Regards,
Jim

Indeed;

It would seem to me as well that Adams was the dealer, and the manufacturer is named on the top of that brass tag. Nice looking machine, whatever it is. A little side trip to the garage confirms that the tailstock is a dead ringer, and the overall concept of the apron is very similar in style to my last-of-the-breed Prentice Bros. Gearhead. Can't tell whether it is missing a clutch knob, or does not have the power cross feed.

PrenticeTailEnd.jpg

PrenticeSaddle.jpg

Here's a picture of another Prentice Brothers lathe from Worcester MA. The features are the same, though the capabilities of the two lathes are different, this one doesn't cut threads.

Pretty sure the lathe in question is also a Prentice Brothers lathe

prenticelathe.jpg

Hey I've got one just like her....1912 Prentice Bros.....mine is fully functional ....belt driven feeds with stops threads very nice ol gal.... Tom Poteet restored her...

Back