RaceGrunt

Plastic
Hi all,

I purchased this lodge and shipley lathe this last weekend

uoOtrAZhlWW8EkgsTXUSuS5UNBCFiIER5Q36g99Xi20pX92IB

T14MAV9LNxpRbFFEIs5xiPyVSfAvME-VvGh8p-m7CGApX92IB

8zkzMlnd4teZcuYtunZgKHnfXCx4GNMSvnnFrTp2nOwpX92IB

mbQKn_rLOZg0rwrtl9TKN_U7uGgFwg7nCHjptAhdzcUpX92IB

It needs some attention, but all the critical factors seem to be intact. ways have .007" of wear, the spindle moves less than .001 side to side. backlash is very minimal.
The lathe came with a Leeson 5hp 1 phase motor, which is great for running at my house. Its in my basement by the garage door but I need to move it ~50ft to the other end of my house to its final position.

There are some slight leaks but im not too worried about that at the moment. Just want to get it up and running first before diving into any restoration work. seems to be pretty tight for a machine that is this old.

Any advice on what to look for as I get this big guy up and under power?
Thanks,
Dan Miller

I don't think you should be concerned about hurting it.

Down the road, if you buy a decent lathe, it's not a great idea to chain directly across the ways and against the handwheels. winching/restraining the lathe from the bottom of the legs is a good way to tear them right off too.

I agree with Garwood, that truck driver is an idiot. There is video on youtube of a rollback driver tearing the legs off a lathe doing the exact thing that your driver did and he should have put wood over the ways to protect them from the chains. Thankfully you got it home in one piece, you got a good lathe.

If this machine is in pretty good shape, you'll be amazed at what it is capable of. I have a nearly identical one. Curious what part of Georgia you are in, as mine also came from Georgia, same exact machine with only a few differences (motor in leg, taper attach and no chip pan, although that one looks shop made). Mine came from Franklin, GA, southwest of Atlanta, just a few miles from Newnan.

All those handles are indeed original, so it hasn't been too severely abused. That bent handle is easily straightened with a little patience and heat. Clamp the center boss in a vise and gently heat with a torch until it is a nice medium red, and then gently pull up with a crescent wrench or other form of leverage. Use your fingertips to avoid over loading and breaking and keep your heat on the side of the bend that is compressing. If you heat the side that is stretching it will crack.

As for leaks, the very act of moving it will cause it to leak. There are no "seals" in this machine. What you have are labyrinth seals, slingers and drains that deflect oil back into the headstock and clutch case. These work primarily on centrifugla force, which slings the oil outward and redirect it towards the drains that lead back to the headstock and clutch case. If you get the oil level above those labyrinth seals, there is NOTHING to keep the oil from running out. When you tilted the wrecker bed to load and unload, the oil level went over the seal and it probably leaked pretty good. When the truck accelerated or braked, the oil sloshed. It is probably drooling from both ends of the spindle and from the clutch pulley.

Now, all that said, this machine will ALWAYS leak oil. These are not lip seals, so a little oil seeps by, no matter what. It is normal. Just keep some oil soak in the pan. The oil leaks because there is no pump, so that is how the oil circulates and is changed. All lubrication except the headstock and clutch oil is total loss. It runs through and on the floor. That's just how things were done. Don't be tempted toput grease fittings anywhere there are oil ports or fittings, that just clogs up the bearing and ruins it.

There are about five hundred oil ports on that machine that need to be kept oiled during operation. Find them ALL. Right off the top of my head, two on either end of the headstock for the QC shafts. That's two holes in the casting and two upturned tubes. One in the QC lever itself, one in the clutch rod bearing, a couple in the clutch actuator rod swivels, two in the leadscrew shaft bearings, a couple on the left hand end of the 4speed range box on the leadscrew, one on the leadscrew reverse lever in the headstock gearing cover, at least two holes in the leadscrew gearing axles (inside the round cover), one on the front left carriage wing right over the way, flathead set screw plug you remove to oil the apron internals. One on the carriage traverse handwheel boss, one on each of the feed star wheel bosses, one on the fwd-neu-rev tumbler lever, one on the half nut lever, one on the clutch lever boss. 4 ball oilers on the carriage wings, two bottle shaped oilers on the front of the carriage where it rides the tailstock way, one on the crossfeed gear, right under the crossfeed screw, one in the crossfeed micrometer barrel, another flathead setscrew, one on the crossfeed nut and at the other end, one on the compound leadscrew bearing and another halfway up for the screw (crank the crossfeed all the way in to oil that), and one in the side of the thread dial. One on the tailstock barrel, one on the screw bearing and finally, one each on the clutch and leadscrew outboard bearings. I may have missed one or two. Use a thin piece of stainless cable or thin welding wire and run every one of those open oil holes to clear dirt dobbers. Nearly every one on mine was packed.

Any questions, I can assure you I have been there and done that with the EXACT same machine...

Attachments

• newhome.jpg
    newhome.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 237
Mike C.,

The Lathe was in Covington, on the southeast side of Atlanta.
Here is the serial number
h9-XvkTOe8aA919ZQyiO4BAsP8_mPQP25QHVc-xM_fwpX92IB

24255 and a 38 stamped sideways on the end of the way.

Any advice on how far I should mount this lathe from the wall?

There are a couple repairs on the machine but I dont think they are detrimental to the function of the machine. I realize the truck driver wasnt exactly the best but its over and done lol. I should be able to move the lathe into position and level it in the next few days. I'm preparing my shop for a coat of epoxy floor paint this weekend and would like to have the lathe in place before I paint, so I don't have to scratch the paint moving the lathe later.

I'm excited about this lathe and cant wait to get it going!
Thanks for the PM's and welcome.
Dan Miller

My SB10L came from Covington/Conyers area. L&S must have had a sales guy around there in the teens, I'm guessing calling on all the textile mills.

As for how far from the wall, look at mine in the pic, and consider that it has a taper attach on the back. Just leave enough that you can get to the back side, if needed.

Not sure how much lathe experience you have but if you are a newbie, BE CAREFUL. That machine is very slow (13-300rpm), but deceivingly powerful. With 5hp at lowest speed, you are looking at around 1700lbs/ft of torque on the spindle. If it hangs up or grabs you in it, it simply will NOT stall. They are serious industrial quality tools of a bygone era, buy they are still WAY more machine than the typical home shop hobby lathe.

You want to run mainly High Speed Steel cutters on it. You can run carbide, but the machine was originally designed for maximum efficiency with HSS. The speeds and feeds are ideal for HSS cutters. Get your grind right and it is just jaw dropping to watch it peel off 1/4-3/8" deep cuts in 4 or 6" steel shafts without even loading up good.

I've got a decent bit of experience on small Chinese lathes, just didn't want a sewing machine for my house. Mostly building race cars and such. I would like to get into small production runs on regular manufacturing stuff.
The machine came with a basic set of 3 HSS tool holders and a few pieces of HSS blanks. That should get me started. Just need to come up with a parting blade and a chuck for the tailstock.

"I've got a decent bit of experience on small Chinese lathes, just didn't want a sewing machine for my house."

Heheh.. man, are you in for a surprise! I had run a chinese 9", a Logan 9" and a monster American Pacemaker when I got mine. Even after running the Pacemaker, this machine was still VERY impressive in both power and accuracy.

What kind of chuck that the monster have. Problems with a threaded backing?

Tom

Double Nose they called it. Huge female thread in spindle flange, even larger backing sholder, straight spigot to set chuck on before threading on. In production mid teens to 1936 in two sizes

Thanks to Mike C for 1916 scan

Attachments

• L&Spg9.jpg
    L&Spg9.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 154
and a chuck for the tailstock.

Have new Jacobs MT4 to JT4 shank and nice looking USA Jacobs 18N (3/4" cap.) to fit. Look on Ebay and see what these are selling for - maybe you will want these from here at a similar price

It is definitely its own spindle mount system. One of those deals where it is sort of hard to find, but when you do find it, not much competition for the pieces. I'm fully tooled, so I won't be stepping on any toes when it comes to Ebay or anything.

Any advice on how far I should mount this lathe from the wall?

Think about cleaning behind it, because you will likely be doing that, access to the taper attachment a noted, access to anything back behind it is important enough that many of us never place a lathe up against a wall in our shops.

"If the spindle nose is that special, I hope you have a chuck or face plate, else it will make a dandy paper weight."

They do come up for sale now and again, but he has a three jaw, so with a little careful measuring and work, he can always make whatever is needed on that machine.

Back