What's new
What's new

Kalamazoo Indexer

Rick_B

Stainless
I just got a Kalamazoo A1 5C 24 position indexer. I got some information fromn Kalamazoo but I'm wondering if anyone has one of these and if a manual may exist. I also need a collet nut so if anyone has a picture of that (or one available) I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Rick

Kalamazoo has free online manuals for their many machines. The indexer is dirt simple, and hardly merits an operating manual.

Larry

Larry - I agree that the indexer appears pretty simple - the things that are not necessarily obvious to me (high level of inexperience) are what the collet nut looks like, attaching a chuck, play in the spindle, etc. I was thinking a manual might address some of this. I looked on the Kalamazoo site - saw their manuals but didn't see anything related to this indexer.

Rick

Rick I don't have one but if you do a Google image search one of the first photos has a nice image of the nut. You might want to get a 5C mounted chuck for that problem or a blank flange 5C to mount your chuck.

Andy

Larry - I agree that the indexer appears pretty simple - the things that are not necessarily obvious to me (high level of inexperience) are what the collet nut looks like, attaching a chuck, play in the spindle, etc. I was thinking a manual might address some of this. I looked on the Kalamazoo site - saw their manuals but didn't see anything related to this indexer.

Rick

Rick

I have a couple Kal indexers and a couple of Japanese copies. Here are pictures of the Kal lever closer that is great for the non-tilting head and for the tilting head when it is not tilted. Below are an OEM Kal draw bar on the left and a Japanese copy on the right. The Kal draw bar had been abused, so I turned the wrecked knurling off and faced the back. The Japanese copy was bought new about 40 years ago and I have not abused it, so the knurling is good except where my pin spanner crushed it a little. The knobs are supposed to be knurled and have three holes for a pin spanner.

The last picture shows how to make a pin spanner from square bar and a steel dowel pin. It works fine and costs less than a USA forged steel tool.

I could certainly make a draw bar from bar stock, but I would have to charge more than what I suspect Kal would charge for their mass-produced product. If you plan to make one, do not waste money on a 1-1/4-20 tap, which is too big for a 5C collet. The correct size tap is extremely rare, so plan on single pointing the draw bar. Use a Hardinge collet for a gauge; other brands may have non-standard threads. If you have other brands, try them all for fit while the threading setup is still in progress.

Kal designed the tilting head to accept a 4" 3-jaw or 6-jaw chuck, originally specifically a Buck Ajust-Tru model. The tilting head spindle is tapped with six holes and has the projection for the four chuck set screws. The chuck needs no adapter to fasten to the head. Pratt Burnerd and a few others made more or less identical chucks. Kal still sells a proper 6-jaw chuck to fit the head. You want a 4" chuck with six screw holes in the front and four set screws around the side near the rear. I checked the Kalamazoo Chuck Co. and Pratt Burnerd websites and they do not sell 4" chucks now. BTC (Chinese) does have them.

Larry

DSC01329.jpg DSC01330.jpg DSC01331.jpg DSC01332.jpg Spanner 1.jpg

Back