What's new
What's new

Keller Die Filer Model 256 Value?

shuebox

Plastic
I got this from the flea market and had no idea what it even was until now (bought a saw and he gave it to me for $20 more).

Anyway, I am going to fix the cords on it and see if it works but I seriously have zero use for it or even room for it and it weighs a ton. Any idea on what these are valued at? I have found zero information on this model so I’m stumped!

Link to the pictures: http://thatoddpiece.com/kdf/

Last edited:
Can you post pics?

Posted a link to the pictures in the first message.. cleaned it up a bit too, didnt even know it was green. It's actually in really good shape with the exception of the original cord. The rubber is so deteriorated it just breaks off and leaves copper wiring exposed. I am probably going to rewire it but its a 240 so unless I take out my dryer I won't be able to use it.

These machines were still available from the manufacturer within the last 20 years, but they went out of business a few years ago. Filing machines used to be popular for die work, but EDM machines have made them obsolete, except in small shops. Keller also made power hacksaws, also obsolete now. I bought a Keller die filer new about 45 years ago, sold it and then bought a second one used and sold it. I don't recall the prices. You have the upper holder that lets you mount a 10 or 12" hacksaw blade. It is handy for sawing metal in a straight line. Proper 8" machine files for the Keller are difficult to find now, perhaps no longer made.

You have a three phase motor which will not run from your clothes dryer outlet, which is single phase. You can get a 1/3 (or more) HP rated VFD with a 110 V single phase input and 220 V three phase output that will run your motor. The VFD will also allow you to vary the speed of the motor, which is a very nice feature on a filing machine. I suggest you sell it as is and let the new owner decide about the VFD or else put a single phase motor on it. The buyer will likely be a hobbyist and you will get more than $20 for it, eventually.

Keller history: Keller Manufacturing & Keller Industries - History | VintageMachinery.org

Larry

Castings to make your own, MLA, are about $100 ($85 to ship to Calif). On ebay, they seem to run $ 350 to $ 550 depending if all there and working or not. Usually these are 'local pick up only' items. I've been looking but haven't scored one yet. Only one has been in California.

John

I know of one of these sitting in a junk yard.Every time I see it I offer $50 for it,and the scavanger says it must be worth more.He doesnt know what it is.Anyway,latelty I see the grass 10ft high in his yard,so I assume he s dead.Soon the scrappies will have it.

Back