What's new

Keller Power Hacksaw w/photos

W. Johnson

Cast Iron
Went to an estate auction Saturday and this followed me home:

keller01.jpg

keller02.jpg

keller03.jpg

Coolant pump is seized, but the saw itself works great.

Anyone have any info at all on this saw? A source for a manual? I can't find a model # or serial # on it, other than the Hy-Duty on the door.

Also at the auction was this very dirty, but very nice, Ammco 7" shaper:

ammco01.jpg

It followed me home too. :D
I was the only bidder. :cool:
$50

Wayne

Tuckahoe Steam & Gas in Easton has nearly the identical Keller saw, missing some parts and is unlikely to get a resto anytime soon. If you're interested in parts/spares, get in touch and a deal might be possible. The machine is not special, it was rescued after being left outside a school shop- no significant legacy to preserve. Its in pretty good condition- seized but not rusted solid.

Cool shaper btw..

Greg

I had one of those a few years ago. It worked well but was a little slow. As far as I could find out Keller is no longer in business but the saw worked great and is rather simple in operation. I think that you got a good deal and Mcmaster still sells the blades. I know that it is one heavy Mother*&*&^. Good luck.

I have the big brother to that saw, I built a power hammer and used it to cut a train axle in half I love it it is great for those real big nasty choping jobs that would crush even the toughest of band saws I used the train axle for the anvil on the hammer. I got a lifetime supply of blades from a machine tool supply place in tucson, I went in and asked if they had any blades for a power hacksaw and the guy looked up in the computer and said that they hadent sold one since 1983 he came out of the warehouse with about 50 or 60 of them all starret and some other brand and gave them to me, he said that if I was still using a power hacksaw I needed all the help I could get.

I sold one of those a few years ago. It had a small gusher pump in it. I found a manual online maybe metalworking.c## or the old logan actuator site links. I think it was part of the US Army machinist manuals. This one looks to have a mechanical arm lift for the return. The one I had was a hydraulic device.

Just for the record, Keller bought out the Johnson line of power hacksaws as well. You can still get parts for both. Shows you what a family operation can still do, that cooperate manufactures cannot!

Ted

I would like to know what size the blades are. I don't need a bunch but if they are the right size, I would split them with anyone who needs them. I don't use the saw much but would like to find a few blades for it.
David from jax

The pump is pretty simple, if you take it apart and clean and lubricate it, Should come back to life, may need priming if you don't use it much. Also clean out the resivoir and check the intake to the pump piping, mine was eaten up pretty badly. Mine is an older 50's model but similiar. Cuts well and blades last a long time! Take care! tt

Just bought a keller saw , and the lift on the back stroke isn't working, any one got a manual, all I have been able to find is one for a hyd. saw, or any suggestions how to fix would be greatly thankful..randy

Hey all,

I have purchased a saw exactly the same as the one pictured by the original poster. Has any one come up with a manual for this machine?

Also the feed mechanism does not seem to be assemble correctly. It seems like the ratcheting wheel is lifting the saw arm up, but not letting it go down. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Seriously--don't fall for the internet kool-aid. Keller is out of business. If you don't believe me because of the fancy website... give them a call. Leave a message. Let me know when they call you back ;)

Hmm. A nation of now defunct industry who have created an internet based 'front' in the hopes of attracting offshore buyers. You don't have to actually DO anything - just look like you can.

Most of the tooling that is used to retube boilers, like expanders, cutters, beaders and formerly available from people like Wiedeke, and Thomas C. Wilson is now made overseas, imported and sold under the former names. At grossly inflated prices, I might add.

The "Lyon Mitre Trimmer" might fall into this category also. Made for years at Strafford, CT, the Pootatuck Corp then moved to Clarmont, NH, then Windsor, VT. Then West Lebanon, NH. Now currently located on the North Shore of Boston. It's family run and seems to be the business that puts family members through college. And offshore made clones are available for half the money.

Back in the 70s I was briefly attracted to a brand new Keller "Jefferson" which was then available for $125. Didn't pull the trigger because I didn't have the $125. Today I probably have better chance for parts for my 1891 Millers Falls "Star" saw than a Jefferson.

Joe

Manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals.

I have the 5 HD that was at Tuckahoe, now running nicely with a new drive shaft and a few other replacement parts. It has hydraulic lift and springs for the downfeed pressure.

I've never seen a manual for the mechanical lift models, but they are simple machines and if you post some detailed pictures of the mechanism, I'm sure some of the folks here can figure it out and help resolve any problems.

Here is the latest info on the Keller Hy-Duty type of saws.

First, Keller must now be officially out of business. Website is gone, cannot find a phone listing anywhere. :(

Second, I just acquired a 5 HD after waiting patiently for quite some time. It is not one of the hydraulic models, but has the mechanical lift for the return stroke, just like the one in the original poster's photo. For those who are wondering, the ratchet system works well, and it simply lifts the blade very slightly on the return stroke (as the blade and frame are moving AWAY from the crank). It does nothing to control the feed rate, but only lifts the blade enough to remove the downward feed pressure as the blade is making its return stroke. Feed rate is controlled by varying the downward spring pressure on the blade, which is done with the handwheel on the front of the saw. Increase the pressure, you increase the feed rate.

The saw I purchased needs a little bit of work in a couple of spots, but nothing too serious. It mostly just needs a good thorough cleaning.

I am quite happy to have this saw. I find it is far easier to watch it cut thick pieces of bar stock than it is for me to cut it with a Sawzall or worse yet, by hand. Yes, I am guilty of driving 20 miles one way in the past to make use of a friend's power hacksaw just to cut a large piece of stock. Of course, we had to enjoy some refreshments while we watched the saw, too! :cheers:

Rather than hijacking this thread, I believe I will start a new thread covering the details of a rebuild of this saw. I should have it coming in the next couple of weeks and will post a link here.

They were sold to a company in Alabama a few years back, just wondering if the economy or the tornadoes took them offline/out of business. They are good saws! tt;)

Back