IMG_0800.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 273
Thanks for posting. Enjoyed the link to pump and pump house restoration and history. I seldom go east but would really like to see this in person. Regards, John.

What Happened to the original crank arms?

What happened to the original Corliss crank arms?

Destroyed by rust as a result of the flood?

Or, (unhappy face) stolen by scrappers? Were they bronze?

JRR

What happened to the original Corliss crank arms?

Destroyed by rust as a result of the flood?

Or, (unhappy face) stolen by scrappers? Were they bronze?

JRR
The original arms were broken when someone who did not know what they were doing rolled the engine over before disconnecting the valve linkage to the stuck valves. Dash pot rods and other parts were bent or broken as well so I still still have more work to do. You can see one of the broken arms in the background of the fourth picture.

Enginebill:

small world ! Alex got in touch with me about the Philipsburg pumping engine for ideas as to how to get the dashpot pistons removed from the dashpots. I gave him a few ideas, and he told me about the damaged valve gear from the engine being rolled over by persons who (being charitable) misrepresented themselves and their experience.

Alex mentioned he was working with a machinist who was doing some fine work on the repair/restoration, but did not mention you by name. From the looks of the pictures and youtube, it appears that new arms were cast. It strikes me as a herculean project to repair and return the Philipsburg pumping engine to where it is operational (at least to run for demonstration purposes). As Alex pointed out, here in the USA, we do not have one single steam waterworks pumping engine able to be operated on steam (or compressed air) for demonstration purposes. I hope this project and your fine work come to fruition as it will be quite an accomplishment. I did some work on the horizontal Corliss pumping engine at National Museum of Industrial History in Bethlehem, PA, and designed piping so that will run on compressed air. As it is, the water end of that pumping engine is pretty much gutted and it is not in its original setting. The Philipsburg pumping engine presents a unique opportunity to return a vertical pumping engine to operating condition (at least for demonstration purposes).

Where Did You Have the Replacement Corliss Crank Arms Cast?

EngineBill,

Which foundry did you use to have the replacement Corliss crank arms cast? Were you happy with this foundry?

(This is useful knowledge to the forum in general. There just aren't as many foundries willing to take on small jobs as there were in times gone by!)

John Ruth

I made the patterns for the cranks on my 3D printer and I had them cast at Cattail foundry near me. They are a small Amish foundry and do nice work.
Joe, the antique machinery world is a small one. I did know that you did some work on the Snow engine. I lined the engine up on the foundation there. I believe that they are planning on renting a boiler and running the Snow engine in Bethlehem on steam. The engine in Phillipsburg is in good hands with Alex, he is a smart hard working kid.

Steve, do you have the trip dog for the automatic down feed for your shaper? I need the part that attaches to the rail. I could use a couple of photos of yours if you do so I can make one for my shaper.

I don't have an auto down feed on mine, but I have a book somewhere. I'll see what I can find and get back to you.

Back