What's new
What's new

Pair of pulleys suitable for flat belt conversion?

Mike C.

Diamond
Hey all, they were pitching a set of taper lock cast iron pulleys at work the other day and I snagged them out of the scrap bin. These pulleys are set up to run four narrow matched belts, but the V grooves are shot. Looks like there's plenty of meat left to turn off the V grooves and end up with enough to crown a nice 1 1/2" flat belt pulley. One pulley is probably 6"diam and the other maybe 14". Will make closer measurements if needed.

I'l snag them and bring them home tomorrow and get all the precise dimensions.

The Vs are so close together and so worn they are shot. No fixing it. Only possibility is to cut them off and use it for a flat belt lineshaft primary reduction or similar.

Gotcha, yes they could indeed be converted to a serpentine belt drive or similar. Could be cut for Gates cog belts for that matter. I was just thinking somebody might use them to build a replica set for a lineshaft or countershaft on a flat belt lathe, shaper, mill, etc...

I forgot to throw them in the car today, but the smaller is 8" and the larger 14". 1.75:1 so it'll run a 1750rpm motor down to 1,000rpm. 1100rpm motor would reduce to 830rpm.

I think we use Browning taper locks, but I'll check it. Shaft bore appears to be just under 2" (probably metric, but can be bored out).

Back