What's new
What's new

Lady Leg Calipers

AntiqueMac

Hot Rolled
Because a current (April 16, 2011) auction has a number of super looking 'lady leg' calipers, Rivett and I thought they would make a good thread on PM.

The goal of this thread is to have others post their examples. And, I bet a few of you will probably make your own. Well designed ones can fetch a decent sum at auction.

Below are a bunch I have stored on my computer. When I get a chance, I'll add a lady leg tweezers I have that is exactly like one that fetched $400.

Take a look:

LadyLeg-Caliper-MJD-1.jpg

LadyLeg-caliper123dollars.jpg

LadyLeg-Caliper-MJD-2.jpg

LadyLeg-Caliper-MJD-3.jpg

spikeleg-calipers.jpg

LadyLeg-Caliper-MJD-6.jpg

LadyLeg-Caliper-MJD-5.jpg

LadyLeg-Caliper-MJD-4.jpg

All appear to be shop made. Share your thoughts as to why people made these. And then, show us your's!!!!

:cheers:

Here's a couple more. I haven't made any myself, but always thought it would be a fun project.

Mel :typing:

Attachments

• 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3,143
  • 214785_lg.jpg
    214785_lg.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 791
I had to cover my eyes

Hey that is some pretty risque stuff you guys are posting there, should we make an adults only section as part of the Antique forum :willy_nilly::crazy:

How old are those calipers generally speaking? I've never seen the likes of them and they are pretty imaginative to say the least. :D

That is a great collection and I am sure they will bring good money, but then again you never know. I plan to be at that sale but better behave and try not to spend too much.... there are a few other things I kind of like.

Now why did they do these....... the use of "lady legs" in everyday house hold things goes back at least to the 18th century... I have seen tongs, tweezers, candleholders and other things with the same idea. Maybe it is because this is what the guy was thinking about and was told to go play in his shop instead of upstairs..... and this is the result.

This same collector that had these also had some of my miniatures. I made him this copy of one from his collection.... it is not in this sale so watch out for the fall auction.....

hp_scanDS_73414292013.jpg

Here is another little thing I made with legs.... a Dancing Master (that is the term often used for leg shaped tools) Sticking Tommy.....

Photo43of105.jpg

As to how long they've been making them..........I have a Montgomery Wards catalog from the late 1890's that shows them for .15 plus .02 shipping, and they'd probably been around before that!

Had no idea there were so many variations though......including the "risque" one............:)

Here is a first for me at least. Just listed this morning on eBay (no affiliation). It is a Blacksmith made (apparently) lady leg horseshoe. I bet it was for a Filly!

LadyLeg-HorseShoe.jpg

And, here is the lady leg tweesers I mentioned in the original post:

LadyLeg-Tweesers-4.jpg

LadyLeg-Tweesers-2.jpg

And, from the Maine Antique Digest from the early 1990's this:

LadyLeg-Tweesers-1.jpg

I suppose everyone knows that Snap-On, the mechanics tool maker produced quite a few lady leg calipers either as a sale item or as a gift premium. Even P. Lowentraut (Peter, Newark, N. J.) the old line tool maker who had a machinist line made a copious number of the lady leg form calipers. Both Snap-On and Lowentraut calipers were 'guaranteed' to bring $100 at auction in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Nowadays, IMHO, it takes a fancier, artsy caliper to fetch that much.

A blacksmith I know made a few fancy designed ones (stockings, garters, fact calves and hips.......) and then "aged" them for several months in cow manure. They sold quite high!

Come on, show us your's!!!

Most of the lady leg calipers posted above are very expensive to buy because of their material quality and/or design/craftsmanship.

But, below is a grouping of some of my thin metal lady legs. They are craftsman made, I think. Probably idle hands doing a sort of just lay it out and cut it out lady leg calipers. But, what interests me (and SWMBO, I think) are some of the shapes. Some are not the modern ideal of a very skinny lady.

Sort of reminds me of the "Huggin and Chalkin" song. You know, the one that goes, "Gosh its nice to have a women so big and fat, that when you hug and kiss her you don't know where you're at....."

Take a look:

LadyLeg-Calipers-Fat.jpg

I know, some aren't all that big. And the double caliper has been called by some country auctioneers a devil form.

So, do you think the style of the leg, such as heavy versus thin, weighs into your thinking about the age of them?

Back