What's new
What's new

Sidney 16 inch questions

nsfr1206

Plastic
Hi all. I have brough this lathe up here before but still have questions. My neighbor is selling a Sidney 16" x around 40" herringbone geared lathe. It seems to be in good shape. Problem is the speed, top rpm is 564 or so. Is this gonna be fast enough for small stuff say 1/2" or so? The lathe is local and cheap and I am tempted. He'll let me use it and if I don't like it bring it back. Moving is no problem. And if its not fast enough will it tear it up to swap motors and put in a higher rpm motor. Original motor is 810 rpm. Thanks, David

I have a Sidney 14 and do stuff down to 1/4 in routinely with no problem. As John said, hand ground HSS tools work fine at low spindle speeds.

That is also a very nice heavy duty machine. Once you do something bigger on it you won't regret getting it for its rigidity. However you may have regrets if you DON'T go ahead and get it!

Regards,

Mike

The herringbone-headstock Sidney is one of the very best lathes ever built, and you are potentially very fortunate in being able to get one for yourself.

That said, the last of the Sidney lathes would have been built in the early to mid-1960's, and would now be literally a 'half-century' old.

As has been said, many times, the three most important things to consider about an old machine are 'condition, condition, and condition'

Some older lathes were used carefully by skilled machinists and toolmakers, and will be well-preserved, with only very slight wear in the ways and screws.

Some other old lathes saw 'three-shift' war production, with unskilled operators, abusive treatment, and lack of proper maintenence. The will be found so badly worn as to require complete rebuilding, altho, if one will run at all, it may be cost-effective to use for 'roughing-out' parts in materials such as the stainlesses, which will then go to another lathe for the finish cuts. This saves time by effectively using the 'heavy hogging' capability of a heavy geared head lathe, and saves wear on the lighter, more delicate machines which are capable of tight dimensional accuracy and high finish.

This can be an excellently practical way to save time on some work, when large diametral reductions, and closely held dimensions with a high finish, are required.

If this one is to be used in a private experimental shop, saving time is only a minor concern........what does matter is the capability for accurate work, relative to the work to be done.

Have the top cover off, and have a look at the gearing. Sometimes, a lathe will sit in storage for some years, and the gears above the oil level will have become badly rusted from condensation. It may.........just may.........be possible to salvage gears which are only slightly rusted. That means having the headstock apart, and delicately cleaning the gears, a job 'not to be taken lightly'.

Have a good look at the ways. Does this one have hard ways? If not, are the ways clean and free from scoring, showing careful use? Has the spindle taper, or cam-lock nose, been badly battered by careless operators?

As has been said already, that relatively low max spindle speed is not a problem, unless you mean to do the class of work for which a HLVH Hardinge, or equivalent, is the appropriate machine.

cheers

Carla

Wow! Thanks for the great answers. This lathe was bought from the college at Mississippi State. It seems to be in very good condition. Not sure whether it has hard ways or not. It certainly needs a cleaning and the paint is flaking off but what do you expect? June of '44 was quite a while ago. My grandpa was only 10.;) Anymore advice?

810 isn't motor RPM. but may be input or clutch pulley RPM. Model 16 standard speeds were 14 to 562, and the optional range was 25 to 1000. I.E, Sidney did not mind them going a little faster.

The did this by using a larger motor pulley and longer belts.

Says motor is either 5 or 10 HP and 1800 RPM. I would expect the 10HP came with the 1000 RPM option.

Base 16 X 30 weight was 4800.

If you want a scan of this mid forties brochure, just private message me your email address.

I am not sure what kind of spindle it has

Either L1 or D1-6". Big notched ring nut behind chuck is L1

J.O.

the hardened ways are easy enough to spot, its a different metal than the rest of the bed, if you look at the end of the bed you can see its slotted into the bed. (v ways only)

makes a big difference though, my v ways looks pristine where my flat ways are beat to snot.

From the little I have on my Sidney, they list a Low range, and Hi range speeds. They also list them as John has said about different hp motors. They also list them having 1200 rpm and 1800 rpm motors. I would think depending on the required speed when ordered .

My 41 Sidney has the 1200 rpm motor, and tops out at 860 rpm stock. Mine is run on a VFD,
so running it at a higher rpm is possible, but seldom needed. I believe Sidney,s had optional speeds, the Hi & Low range I mentioned before, done with the motor sheeves, as the upper sheeve can not be altered. Other than that, the motor rpm of 1200, or 1800 was used.

The Sidney Lathes are a stout piece of equipment, and the herring bone gear lathe is the Sidney that most of us spur geared owners wish we had. If you can get that Sidney to run up to around 860-1000 rpm, thats plenty fast .

Paul

Back