What's new
What's new

lang 120" lathe valuation uk rates

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello Ive been offered the following machine.Yes its old but it will do the job I need it to and finding a good sized machine in England is proving hard unless I go new chinese or pay scarcity tax to a dealer.
An idea of age would be good too.Its 120"x12"ch 2.75 spindle boreScreenshot_2017-02-21-23-31-52.jpg

Thanks sami
Some bargains on there! Elgamill a grand!!!
Theres a dsg 144" at a dealer he wants £14k bit on top I reckon

I reckon a lot of that stuff would have made more money on ebay.

Downside is going by that auction my empire of dirt is worth ten bob:rolleyes5:

Not hardly what is being asked, but a 25" '63 Lodge & Shipley Power Turn WITH 12 1/2" SPINDLE BORE (and chucks both ends) went for $5600 USD Monday 20 February at an auction in rural Texas

These are the jobs that are over $100K at the dealers

Thanks sami
Some bargains on there! Elgamill a grand!!!
Theres a dsg 144" at a dealer he wants £14k bit on top I reckon

I reckon a lot of that stuff would have made more money on ebay.

Downside is going by that auction my empire of dirt is worth ten bob:rolleyes5:

I think in your type of situation, the best (only ??) option is to offer / pay what the machine is worth to YOU

FWIW The late Mark McGrath agreed with me on that point, .and he was careful with his pennies :D

I do miss my conversation s with mark mcgrath.

A machine is not a asset just a tool to make money and its needs to be able to cover is purchase price fairly quickly.

A machine is not a asset just a tool to make money and its needs to be able to cover is purchase price fairly quickly.

Which sort of brings us back round to what the machine is worth to YOU ...............and if you can break that circle you're a better man than I Gungadin !

and of course, as a business man, the question is not "how much it is worth" but "how little can you get it for" negotiate, it is not an easy machine to sell, or to move. I have lost count of the number of bargains that would have cost twice the purchase price, and more, just for transport. Of course if it happens to be in the unit just across from yours, thats different.

Something like that I'd want the purchase, transport and installation costs pretty much covered by firmly booked work or at least jobs you are certain of getting, eventually.

Big question in my mind would be "If there is a worthwhile quantity of work needing a lathe of that capacity sufficiently local to you who is doing it now." Old tech like that isn't going to be intrinsically competitive with more modern equipment in a shop that includes such work as part of its normal business so you are going to have to find your business advantage elsewhere. Lower overheads and being local probably. Could work out embarrassing if the work you expect to get is merely covering a temporary glut pushing out delivery times from the usual supplier. Annoying but sort of acceptable if the machine is paid for once the glut has gone letting folk go back to the usual supplier and the floor space isn't eating too much rent. At least it positions you to take on jobs that size as and when. Hopefully netting a premium for emergency or short delivery work. Making loan payments on a machine that isn't earning sucks.

I've got a long track record of buying in equipment to do jobs that pretty much covered the purchase costs and didn't get used again for years!

Often wondered if something fancy could be done with 0% credit cards and depreciation allowances to reduce the impact of such purchases on cash flow.

Clive

Big stuff is what I do, but I borrow a pals lathe for over 7'.
In my county of essex there are a fair few cnc places fighting for 'capstan work' Ive always done bigger stuff and left those boys undercutting each other in the fight to pay finance on their machines.
Im thinking market value, not what its worth to me so I can start negotiating.
As far as having a dedicated job to cover it I have 40 ton of drill casings to make.

Howdy pressbrake,
That looks very similar to the Lathe sold on g-tree last year the other side of London, they were daft about loading within a couple of days of sale and I know it had a bid of a few hundred from one dealer and a grand bought it but then haulage collapsed so it was binned on sat morning.No rapids on their lathe...not sure on yours but they said the dealer toldthem no rapids no market over here?

Richard

Hello Richard , this one is up north , well to me it is!

Dealers come out with all sorts of nonsense ie when you own it its worth less than scrap then as soon as its been scotchbrited to death its now ten grand!

Thanks tyrone, I was hoping you would show up with your old iron knowledge, any idea of weight?

Hard to be really accurate off a few photos. The style of webbing makes a lot of difference on a centre lathe and the photo doesn't really show that. They didn't skimp on cast iron in those days.

I'd say around the 10 ton mark to be safe.

Regards Tyrone.

Hello Richard , this one is up north , well to me it is!

Dealers come out with all sorts of nonsense ie when you own it its worth less than scrap then as soon as its been scotchbrited to death its now ten grand!

I was tasked with up grading a medium sized ( 12 ft bc ) " Churchill " cylindrical roll grinder for one company. They wanted to swap an older machine for something more modern and they wanted me to negotiate the deal.

I had one guy come to see me. He was late for the meet, flash suit etc. He was trying to tell me on one hand the machine I was disposing of wasn't worth a toss and he'd do me a favour taking it off my hands. He was also telling me that the machine he had which was a very similar " Churchill " but about 10 years more modern and had just been painted was as rare as rocking horse shit and an absolute bargain at my machine plus £30k.

I was already pissed off having to wait for him on Friday afternoon and he just got right up my nose. So I gave him both barrels !

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:

Back