What's new
What's new

Lathe ID

romie24

Hot Rolled
Hey all

Just got these pictures in the email so I am not where the lathe is but sounds like its free for the taking . Anyone guess the maker ?[/ATTACH]IMG_20170407_105403 (1).jpgIMG_20170407_105507 (1).jpgIMG_20170407_105434 (1).jpg

Got the owner to tell me that it has a 1.75 through hole in the head stock, so far that's all the info I have. Mike

Almost certain this is a Flather, 2nd evolution.

Shown in Cope's American Lathe book as Fig. 5 or beyond.

The give aways for me are the four bolt "adjusting bolt" headstock spindle cap, the casting containing lead screw and feed rod (it has a funnel shaped hole in the top for lubrication), the solid round handles on lateral and cross feed on the apron, and the curved top to the compound slide.

Flather was noted among the earliest adopters of a hole through the headstock (although my 20" Flather does not have) and a quick change gear of at least three patterns (which this one does not have.)

You'll want to be sure to grab the change gears if they're available. There should be at least 12 or 13 of them. In this large size getting a full set could be pricey.

Joe in NH

A great idea for storing the tailstock chuck and the steady rest !

What a great idea for storing the tailstock chuck and the steady rest ! She has two tapped holes drilled into the end of her bed, supporting brackets to store these often-lost accessories.

In addition to these accessories and the change gears, be sure to search for the "follower rest".

She looks stout!

John Ruth

I'm going to look at it later this week coming up, hopefully everything is there, but who knows. If it is a Flather that would be kinda cool since I have a Flather planer.

Well its been a while but we have the lathe in our shop now and maybe it is a Flather. Dont know for sure,what do you guys think 2018-05-23 11.54.19.jpg2018-05-23 11.54.39.jpg2018-05-23 11.54.57.jpg2018-05-23 11.55.17.jpg2018-05-23 11.55.24.jpgmike

Still more 2018-05-23 11.57.04.jpg2018-05-23 11.57.19.jpg2018-05-23 11.58.46.jpg

Anyway before anyone says "well that transmission aint original", I kinda figured that. It a Muncie that I think maybe from 1927-28 , aint sure. Thought I would post pics for anyone that might have a idea about the lathe, but I am thinking it is a Flather. Mike

Not a Flather.
John

I agree. Nor a Hendey.

The double backgears, shape of the tailstock, the outboard support for leadscrew and feed rod, and the simple gearbox under the bed (if not a shop addition) should be very distinctive elements. I do not have my copy of Cope's book at hand and I won't be able to check it for a couple of days. But, if it's covered by the book, it should be easy to recognize it from the drawings.

Paolo

As far as the swing I would say 20" would be tight over the carriage , so maybe a 20" or 19.5" . Just with a tape measure and the through hole is about 1.625 , also with a tape measure. I can't find any thing close to a name , the only numbers I can find are on the chuck which are numbers for the grooves on the face. The face plate and chuck I would guess are from the same manufacturer since the slots on both for t- bolts are square at the ends and not radiused. Most of the lathe is froze up but I have Kroil and PB blaster soaking in. Got some features loosened up. But what to do with it once I get her moving is something I haven't given much thought. I dont think the quick speed change is an add on, but hey what the hell do I know. At least it has the steady rest . Mike

Maybe an 18 inch with the standard @ 2 inch leeway? My first impression was ATW, but I'm far from an expert on the various brands of the era.
Kroil is the best....the choice for those taking continuous miner heads apart deep underground.....use it by the gallon.

As far as the swing I would say 20" would be tight over the carriage , so maybe a 20" or 19.5" . Just with a tape measure and the through hole is about 1.625 , also with a tape measure. I can't find any thing close to a name , the only numbers I can find are on the chuck which are numbers for the grooves on the face. The face plate and chuck I would guess are from the same manufacturer since the slots on both for t- bolts are square at the ends and not radiused. Most of the lathe is froze up but I have Kroil and PB blaster soaking in. Got some features loosened up. But what to do with it once I get her moving is something I haven't given much thought. I dont think the quick speed change is an add on, but hey what the hell do I know. At least it has the steady rest . Mike

LOL yeah what do I do with it now is always the question....Even more so when you start running out of floor space.. Ramsay 1:)

I had to laugh, my son came in today and saw it sitting there. He asked about the tranny on it , I said I think it's a 27-28 ford tranny, he says " well at least the lathe will run downhill" he's a dodge guy. Mike

I had to laugh, my son came in today and saw it sitting there. He asked about the tranny on it , I said I think it's a 27-28 ford tranny, he says " well at least the lathe will run downhill" he's a dodge guy. Mike

Hey tell him I have a 21" Buffalo drill press with a Dodge M37 transmission on it... See if he knows what an M37 is.. Ramsay 1:)

Back