What's new
What's new

ATW Planer

cretedog

Hot Rolled
Super Duty went on a road trip today...:)

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

Would anyone have any information, scanned catalog cuts, manuals, etc.?

Serial # 21715 20" x 72" table

Thank you, JM

Fantastic! This is only the 2nd ATW planer I recall being posted here- and more complete than the other.

I have an assortment of old ATW docs here;

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/index.html

The older product guides go into some detail about the various features of the ATW planers, and also show some of their evolution. The "erecting & operating" guides may be of some use too.

Any additional details about this machine, its condition/history, or more photos would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

Thanks much for the link Greg! The scans you host are much appreciated.

Champion #200 post drill, JB. Someone actually went to quite a bit of trouble bringing it into the electrified world fabbing the stand, variable speed jackshaft, and motor mounts. Table elevating mechanism looks like it came from a mill or drillpress- dovetailed ways, nice castings and elevating screw.

I have been looking for one for a while

This is me from 2009. Describing all you need to know about "the nurse."

We've since learned that she looks kind of like Flo the Progressive Girl except in candistripes.

There's only one solution: GET A PLANER.

With the planer comes the services of "The Nurse." Shortly after arrival of the planer will come a knock at your door. On your doorstep will be the nurse. She'll give you pills which will make you the most agreeable, most generous, most affable marriage partner. Take the pills she gives you one a day - but no more. Serious overdose consequences may result otherwise.

With the nurse, if you're not married - you soon will be. If you are, your wife will declare you a "keepah."

With the pills you'll be able to watch an entire season of Desperate Housewives alongside your wife and she'll swear she'd rather be with you than with any of her girlfriends. Finally, you'll get to the point where she grows a bit concerned wondering if you're not a girl in disguise. Doubts creep into her mind. Finally the question: "Dear, wouldn't you like to spend some time out in the shop like all the other men?"

You've then made it. The nurse smiles. That's the sign of "optimal married condition."

Yup. You need a planer.

Note: if you should happen upon a locomotive, there's a whole medical team devoted to that brand of old iron affliction. They've been known to do medical care for the entire family, including CPR on the wife.

I saw a locomotive advertised over on Harry's Old Engine Site.

Joe

Nice planer. Id love to see some more pictures once you get it set up and running. I think these are very cool machines. I wish I had one burried in the back of my shop.

Congrats on the planer!

I would have liked a few things from that place too but was too busy at the time. I'm not sure what they charged you to load it but otherwise I think you got a pretty good deal!!!

Weight & Size?

I've found one similar to that one and was wondering if you had any idea how much it weighs? Dimensions would be of interest as well. Thanks.

Felt like about 8500lbs picking it with the lift. (Includes added electric motor and gearbox)

20" x 72" table (table is actually 84" long, 72" + 6" oil sump at each end.

5' wide at widest point, 10' long, 8' high (to top of added motor)

If you get it, or anyone else has a similiar model, I'd love to see the adjustable power feed drive mechanism that attaches to the jackshaft coming out the side of the bed. Mine is missing and has a home built jury rigged feed system. I'd like to fabricate a copy of the original and get it installed sometime.

Your gonna have fun with that puppy! Nice find.

I've found one similar to that one and was wondering if you had any idea how much it weighs? Dimensions would be of interest as well.

My 6' Whitcomb Blaisdell has a longer table (92-1/2") and fuller bed casting, book weight is 6,600 lbs, plus the drive system. OTOH, the some of the ATW castings may look a little heavier cross section?

Thanks to John Oder for the catalog pages:

smt_Whitcombblaisdell5.jpg

smt_fakecast15.jpg

smt

This is me from 2009. Describing all you need to know about "the nurse."

There's only one solution: GET A PLANER.

With the planer comes the services of "The Nurse." Shortly after arrival of the planer will come a knock at your door. On your doorstep will be the nurse. She'll give you pills which will make you the most agreeable, most generous, most affable marriage partner. Take the pills she gives you one a day - but no more. Serious overdose consequences may result otherwise.

With the nurse, if you're not married - you soon will be. If you are, your wife will declare you a "keepah."

With the pills you'll be able to watch an entire season of Desperate Housewives alongside your wife and she'll swear she'd rather be with you than with any of her girlfriends. Finally, you'll get to the point where she grows a bit concerned wondering if you're not a girl in disguise. Doubts creep into her mind. Finally the question: "Dear, wouldn't you like to spend some time out in the shop like all the other men?"

You've then made it. The nurse smiles. That's the sign of "optimal married condition."

Yup. You need a planer.

Note: if you should happen upon a locomotive, there's a whole medical team devoted to that brand of old iron affliction. They've been known to do medical care for the entire family, including CPR on the wife.

I saw a locomotive advertised over on Harry's Old Engine Site.

Joe

We've since learned that she looks kind of like Flo the Progressive Girl except in candistripes.

Didn't that come with a warning never to give the pills to the wife - cos you'd never get her out of the shop after that?

Back