What's new
What's new

Lathe Work For Beginners 1922

Jim Christie

Titanium
I took a look on archive.org looking to see if there was any thing about John Wykes mentioned in another thread about making wood screws and found this book .
Lathe work for beginners; a practical treatise on lathe work with complete instructions for properly using the various tools, including complete directions for wood and metal turning, screw cutting, measuring tools, wood turning, metal spinning, etc., and instructions for building home-made lathes with their attachments, etc. (1922)
Lathe work for beginners; a practical treatise on lathe work with complete instructions for properly using the various tools, including complete directions for wood and metal turning, screw cutting, measuring tools, wood turning, metal spinning, etc.
Often I see new posters on this forum looking for instruction books on using their antique lathes .
While it has been a while since I looked at my copy of How To Run A Lathe book by South Bend Lathe it seems to me that there are a number of topics in this book that were not covered by the South Bend one.
The examples in this book show several models of older machines that I have seen featured on this forum .
I only took a quick look through it but I thought some others might like to see it as well .
Here are some of the topics mentioned that might not show up as often in more modern texts .
Screw Cutting With Hand Chasers
Lathe work for beginners; a practical treatise on lathe work with complete instructions for properly using the various tools, including complete directions for wood and metal turning, screw cutting, measuring tools, wood turning, metal spinning, etc.
Metal Spinning
Once in a while I see posts on this forum asking about an unidentified small lathe that would seem to be home built .
I wonder if there are any that are still around that may have been built following the plans starting here
Building an Amateur’s Metal Working Lathe
The same would apply to this wood lathe .
Building A simple Wood Turning Lathe
How To build a Model Rapid Fire Naval Gun
Regards,
Jim

Back