What's new
What's new

Lead screw

RonA

Plastic
Hi folks I am new to this form. I have a friend who has a 1919 LeBlond Lathe Model 65 with a missing lead screw. I have been told by LeBlond Company that there is no parts for this lathe.
So what I am looking for is the specs on the lead screw so that I can make one. One party has indicated that it is 6 TPI and I would like to confirm that if anyone out there as a matching machine. As soon as I can get down to where the machine is I will take some photo's to post. I also would assume that it is a Acme thread on the lead screw. Any help that you can give would be very much appricated.
RonA

Welcome to the forum. Size description of lathe and photos will help, If you want I can post photos if you email them to:

[email protected]

John

Hello Ron;

I've got a 1916 LeBlond Lathe catalog, which I just paged through. I'm not familiar with "Model 65" as a designator of any of their lathes of that time period. Most of their lathes are listed by swing diameter, such as 12", 14", 16", 20", 24", etc.

The standard series engine lathes are marked, for example, "LeBlond 16 Inch". The Heavy Duty series are marked "16 Inch LeBlond Heavy Duty". These are all cast right into the headstock. Photos and more info will help us nail it down.

The spec tables in my catalog list the leadscrew pitches on some models, but not all of them. It looks like all of the smaller lathes from 12" to 17" have a 4TPI leadscrew, while everything from 19" to 33" is 2TPI. They don't call out diameters or thread form, but it's probably Acme.

Bruce Johnson

Ron:

The most sure fire way to tell at least dia. and pitch will be to have apron off and taken apart so you can both get a close look at half nuts and do the cleaning up/inspecting/fixing always needed.

John

Back