What's new
What's new

Lewis 10" shaper

Raybmarlow

Cast Iron
a730ab95a0e7031620c3230cb692d6d0.jpg
f1e571ef2ed24e68bc0ca5b956cbda2f.jpg

Thought I would share a couple of pictures of the Lewis Shaper I just acquired , she runs nice , but looking for any literature I might be able to get ahold of . Hopefully y folks can guide me in the right direction.. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found one very similar and have been learning how to run it and cleaning. I just bough a stand for mine. I have a vise and was given a bunch of Armstrong holder. Another one saved from the scrap pile.

John

Welcome to the Lewis shaper owners' club. :) These little shapers are pretty nice - I have one. There's a Yahoo group dedicated to the Lewis Machine Tool Co. machines, started long ago. There's not much activity there now, but a lot of good info and pictures. I'm one of the moderators.

Yahoo! Groups

Irby

I will check that site out , not sure my intentions for machine yet, but it's relaxing to watch it run ... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John , you are very lucky to have gotten the vice with it, especially if it is the Lewis, they are hard to come by as I'm learning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My shaper belonged to Kay Fisher who was very active in everything shaper he wrote may articles. He gave me a copy the blueprints as well. The shaper had set idle for 10+ years in his shop. He has the nicest small Bridgeport I have ever seen fully restored and well as a Myford Super 7. The only thing my shaper is missing is the rotary base under the vise.

John

Yes, Kay Fishers files were still out there last time I looked, and are excellent. That Bridgeport restoration is fantastic. And his shaper column at neme-s.org is great. He even featured the old Juengst 15" shaper I used to have - and sold to Nathan DeSelle.

You know, the more I look at details of your shaper, Raybmarlow, the more I see things that are not on the Lewis shapers I have seen. The fillet behind the ram head support, the shape of the table, the position of the ram lower pivot point, the door latch, and the shape of the downfeed slide, are all different. The ratchet mechanism is the same and the base and general body casting look the same. I think I've seen a similar shaper somewhere, and this one may not be an original Lewis.

You can compare it to my Lewis shaper here:
Lewis Shaper by Irby Jones | Photobucket

Irby

Irby

I guess the little shapers are OK, never seen one up close.

I CAN say that the Lewis *mill* is a very nice little machine. Mine is happy running slabbing cutters, none of this little 1/8" wide stuff you always see on little mills.

If the shapers are made that well, they must be pretty good.

One thing about any of the Lewis kits you will find is that no two are alike. Every one I've seen plus the one I owned are different, because people tend to make things to suit their own ideas about how machines should be made.
The door clasp on this machine looks to be from an Ammco, but I may be wrong.

One thing about any of the Lewis kits you will find is that no two are alike. Every one I've seen plus the one I owned are different, because people tend to make things to suit their own ideas about how machines should be made.
The door clasp on this machine looks to be from an Ammco, but I may be wrong.

This is what I'm finding true, it is hard to find two alike, the basic machine has the character and basic Lewis castings, with one specific mans ideas in the build... Believe me if its not Alexis, that's ok with me so long as I have concrete evidence it is another brand , it's a nice little machine ..

I didn't like mine, it was poorly made and sat on a poorly welded stand. The thing about casting kits is that not only do two finished machines look different they also perform differently.
The Lewis was a product of it's time, designed to be built in school shops and perhaps in garages where money was exceedingly tight. People coming back from WW2 often lived in homes with dirt floors, and it sounds crazy but that was more common than we might want to think. My cousins lived like that with an outhouse in the back.
It may not even be possible for most of us to imagine the poverty that many in the USA lived under during the years the Lewis kits were offered.
For example, how many high school kids get to work on casting kits in metals shops? That was common when I was a kid. I bet there aren't 10% of schools offering it left.

I don't mean to imply that I saw it all, I was just a kid after WW2, but I know people didn't expect as much back then. The Lewis casting kits were fine for their day. I wonder how many were as nicely done as the one at the top, you can see that it was scraped, mine wasn't, nor do I think many were. But Lewis machines were all somewhat crude compared to a South Bend or even an Ammco.

Back