What's new
What's new

Lineshaft to electric motor conversions

Dave A

Titanium
Because a recent thread got a bit off topic, I thought I would practice my photo posting in a new thread. Here is a photo of the mfg label from the Lima motor that is on my Hendey shaper.

IMG.jpg

Hendyshapermotor.jpg

Now if we can just get some photos of a driveall and a few others posted, we will have some reference material on line.

I notice that the shifting pattern is reversed from my Lima to Kevin's Western. Appears one of them used a proprietary transmission.

John - One thing that seems consistent about the Lima installations is the extreme bend in the shifting lever. Now that angle works pretty well if it is up high above a lathe like Kevin's and some other we have seen. But, on my shaper, it puts the end of the shift lever way down by the floor. Clearly they wanted to keep well away from the shaper ram, as it moved to the rear, but you would not be shifting while it was in motion in any case.

I am now wondering if my Lima was taken off of a lathe installation, but the mount looks to be factory built. I suppose Lima figured that any shop could modify the angle in the lever if they wanted to.

Here is a copy of a Lima brochure that John may have made available.

Limagearshiftdrivebrochure.jpg

Alas, both the conversions that I have are shop made affairs with automotive transmissions. they have one minor benefit----They have a reverse which can be significant if you are using a single phase motor which does not reverse easily.

The Lima box on our 20" Lodge and Shipley at Cass has the shifter sticking out of the front. I don't know if this is an older or newer feature:

LS03.jpg

Andy

"Now if we can just get some photos of a driveall ..."

Below are three photos of two Drive-All gear boxes in my old shop, which is now storage. One photograph shows the Drive-All up close, one on a Landis bolt threader, and one on a Rahn-Larmon lathe. I did not get any photos of the fine cast iron arms that support these gearbopx conversions.

Both machines came--with their conversions--from the Sam'l Creswell Iron Works, at 23rd and Cherry streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and both amchines are listed in a 1951 appraisal of the Iron Works. The drive-Alls are noted in that appraisal of fifty five years ago.

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

Notice that the Drive-All came in both right and left hand ouputs.

Northernsinger

The photographs of two Drive-All gearboxes are both of the Model 402 box. I know a larger box, a 405, was also made. Perhaps other sizes were also made.

Sorry I made the pictures of the above so small.

Northernsinger

Back