What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley 16-20 Lathe ?

samo

Cast Iron
A customer of mine (200 miles away) told me of a L & S lathe he thought I might be interested in. He did not have a camera and has very little machine tool experience, he read the model on the phone as a 16-20 or maybe he meant 16/20 he described it as least 15 feet long. That is all he could tell me about it as it is an old shop that is to be cleared out and he was only in the shop for a few minutes. I have seen several L & S lathes and would like to know more about this model. I seem to have read somewhere about a model 16/20 turret lathe? anyone know any more based on the little info given?
Thanks for any info, I have someone local to me looking for a big old lathe and thought I would investigate this one since it is going to go very cheaply.

Sam
So. Calif.

Thanks John,
That must be it. Sounds like it would fit the bill, he was looking for a 18" min. swing.
Any approx. weight for this lathe? I think it may be a little longer than the one on ebay as he paced it out to about 18 feet. over all length.
One of those deals where I would need to drive 175 miles one way to pick it up and now owner is not sure if a suitable forklift is available to load. Machine was in use up til a few months ago so maybe it is well tooled. The purchase price is less than the cost of gas for me to get it but around here the purchase price of old & heavy equipment is usually the cheapest part of the deal.

Sam

Hi Sam:

In the August '47 bulletin that includes the Model A, the 16" with 30" centers is listed at 6100 with 340 lbs for each additional two feet of bed. I expect the one you are looking at has ten more feet of bed adding 1700 to the 6100 - or thereabouts :D

Back