What's new
What's new

Logan Lathe Quality?

projectnut

Stainless
As some of you might already know I have an older lathe in the shop that needs some TLC. The current thought is to possibly send it out to have the ways reground. I won't get into the make or model here, but obviously the process is going to take some time and make the machine unusable for at least for a while. If it turns out the machine is too worn to justify regrinding I will have to find a replacement.

The owner of a shop in our area heard what was going on and offered to sell me an older 11" Logan as a temporary replacement. I know nothing about Logan lathes, but if memory serves correctly I think they may be the company that made machines for the likes of Sears and Wards. In other words more geared more to a hobbyist than a commercial setting.

The machine sounds interesting, but I've not yet seen it. I will make arrangements to do so later in the week if possible. I don't do a lot of heavy turning, but I don't want to purchase a lathe that isn't up to the task or will need constant maintenance and repairs. Opinions please.

Having owned both Logan's and SB's I would say the logan 11" is a fair match for a SB heavy 10. Of course condition is everything,wore out junk is still junk no matter the name.

As some of you might already know I have an older lathe in the shop that needs some TLC. The current thought is to possibly send it out to have the ways reground. I won't get into the make or model here, but obviously the process is going to take some time and make the machine unusable for at least for a while. If it turns out the machine is too worn to justify regrinding I will have to find a replacement.

The owner of a shop in our area heard what was going on and offered to sell me an older 11" Logan as a temporary replacement. I know nothing about Logan lathes, but if memory serves correctly I think they may be the company that made machines for the likes of Sears and Wards. In other words more geared more to a hobbyist than a commercial setting.

The machine sounds interesting, but I've not yet seen it. I will make arrangements to do so later in the week if possible. I don't do a lot of heavy turning, but I don't want to purchase a lathe that isn't up to the task or will need constant maintenance and repairs. Opinions please.

"Some of" the Logans were sold by Monkey-Ward. They were far and away a better lathe than the @las being sold by Sears. Many went into schools.

Built to a modest price, they were nonetheless able to go head-to-head with a much nicer LOOKING South Bend.

I'd suggest you take advantage of his offer.

Bill

A 10'' Logan was my first ''semi decent'' home shop lathe, ........... not a bad tool, though I prefer my SB clone, but with what that Logan did for me :eek: and still turned out a decent job??? (WTF?) .......................short of your machchine being a heap of scrap - you won't go too far wrong.

Oh yeah, and if the back gears and tumbler reverse sound like a concrete mixer full of boulders - that's NFAL ( normal for a Logan)

P.S. Many parts still available from Logans http://store.lathe.com/

My 11" apparently started life as a turret lathe in a factory. Previous owner bought it from a factory-shutdown auction, removed the Hardinge-style lever turret unit and the coolant system, added a standard tailstock, and swapped the 3-phase motor for a small single phase.

I've been using that, often converted back to a capstan-style turret, and currently set up as a quick-and-dirty CNC, along with a similarly-sized Sheldon, as my two main lathes for some 15 years now.

Doc.

The 11" is nice. The Logan I have is a 10"... still OK, but not quite as nice.

Absolutely NO comparison to the Sears machines, much nicer and actually usable. Logan made machines of 9" and 10" for MW, but made machines up to 14" for primarily non-hobby users.

The 11" spindle is large enough to take a 5C collet. Some 11" had hardened beds, and a modern type spindle nose (not threaded). Sounds like you might want to take him up on it.

Plus one on the positive replies. I've had several Logan 10" lathes and own two now. I believe the 11 uses the same bed, many parts are interchangeable with the 800 series 10" lathes. The 11" headstock is however quite different with the larger spindle. Logan still sells parts and plenty used parts available.

Bed wear is something to look for with all the Logans but with so many sold on eBay for the parts even they are replaceable. Be sure to look closely at all the bull and back gears as they are expensive to replace. Quick change and end gears are a non issue and easy to find.

I have reconditioned both a SB heavy 10 and a 12" Logan, both about the same age. The Logan is good, a lot were used as turret lathes, but overall, they are inferior to the SB. Where SB used bronze bearings, Logan just ran on CI, SB has a lot more oiling points. An example, the saddle to bed is lubricated by spreading oil on the bed of the Logan. SB has bullet oilers (4). Each has pluses and minuses. The Logan has a better power delivery system. Overall I would say the SB is somewhat better than the Logan, but neither is a production machine. The SB is sometimes seen in toolrooms: I have yet to see a Logan there.

Tom

Where SB used bronze bearings, Logan just ran on CI

?? JHS/HS shop Logan we had used fair-decent roller bearings in that 'CI' fifty years and more ago.

Not to mention that SB and many far, far better regarded lathes and mills made their bones on rather good iron bearings.

Otherwise, the SB 'toolroom' right next to it started out as the better lathe.

The Logan absorbed student punishment better, and/or suffered less of it, was faster and less-costly to repair.

Swings and roundabouts.

Bill

I have reconditioned both a SB heavy 10 and a 12" Logan, both about the same age. The Logan is good, a lot were used as turret lathes, but overall, they are inferior to the SB. Where SB used bronze bearings, Logan just ran on CI,....
Tom

Say WHAT?

You may have that BACKWARDS.

I HAVE heard of a couple ancient plain bearing Logan units.Even Scott Logan had never seen one, IIRC. However, thousands of SB units were made with the spindle running directly on CI.

ALL the Logan units I have ever seen have New Departure ball bearings. Maybe some of he larger ones have TImken roller bearings, I have never had a 14" etc (I think there were even a few 15", not many, and those were turret as built).

?? JHS/HS shop Logan we had used fair-decent roller bearings in that 'CI' fifty years and more ago.

Not to mention that SB and many far, far better regarded lathes and mills made their bones on rather good iron bearings.

Otherwise, the SB 'toolroom' right next to it started out as the better lathe.

The Logan absorbed student punishment better, and/or suffered less of it, was faster and less-costly to repair.

Swings and roundabouts.

Bill

The bearings I was referring to are in the gear train and in the apron. Spindle bearings in the Logan are preloaded ball, the SB is split cap adjustable bronze sleeve. Whether it made any difference or not, the bearings on SB have never needed replacement, there was wholesale destruction in the Logan apron.

Tom

We had a little 9" Logan at the museum when I first started working there. It was the first real metal lathe I ever got my hands on. Fine machines. If your other lathe is an unmentionable, the Logan 11" will be 1000% better.

back gears and QC on the Logan are bronze.

The apron SHOULD be running in an oil bath, and unless it is allowed to run dry, the bearings ought to last nicely. Even there, bronze may be present on at least some.... I'd have to look at a manual.

As mentioned, many thousands of SB had the spindle running directly on iron, and even they are generally fine so long as they were oiled properly. CI isn't a bad bearing material, the pistons in your vehicle run on CI liners or block in most cases. Usually CI rings against CI cylinder.

I have had several south bends and an 11" logan. The logan was in very good shape but we did have the carriage/apron off for clean up. Very unimpressive i thought compared to the south bend apron. I got the logan from a buddy for $800 because i wanted a belt drive lathe for my boys to learn on. When i sold it at auction on ebay i got about $150 out of it. I would not buy another.

Last edited:
You can get 1k all day here for a good condition 11" Logan. I'll happily pay your $150 plus shipping....... If you only got $150, you got took, friend, they saw you coming along a mile away.

Most of the 11" are NOT flat belt, but V-belt, generally underdrive.

Are you SURE it was an 11"?

The 10" swing nearly 11" , and I have seen them called an 11" before. The 10" apron is open, and has no longitudinal feed other than the halfnuts, usually, but VIRTUALLY EVERY 11" has a QC and the enclosed oil bath apron. I think there are about 4 models out of 45 that have no QC.

Ive got a model 200 and a model 820. Both very well made lathes for the "lightweight" class of machines.

IMO compairing them to SB is a level comparison, but it's like Ford vs Chevy or Harleys and Indians. It'll go on all day.

That said, my 820 is coming out of a minor restoration that involved adding some bronze bushings in worn places like the apron and QC gearbox. But to me, it was full of relativly simple repairs. A machine dosn't have to be complicated to perform well in an industrial enviroment. If I had to choose between these old Logans and a brand new Import, I'd keep the Logans for sure. They perform as expected and are very servicable when something goes wrong.

Are you SURE it was an 11"?

The 10" swing nearly 11" , and I have seen them called an 11" before. The 10" apron is open, and has no longitudinal feed other than the halfnuts, usually, but VIRTUALLY EVERY 11" has a QC and the enclosed oil bath apron.

The 200 series Logan fits the above description. The 800 and 900 series Logan apron is double wall and the the gears run in oil. Th 800 and 900 also have both half nuts for threading and a clutch for power feed. The 11" used the same apron as the 800 / 900.

Last edited:
We had a little 9" Logan at the museum when I first started working there. It was the first real metal lathe I ever got my hands on. Fine machines. If your other lathe is an unmentionable, the Logan 11" will be 1000% better.

Thanks everyone. I'll be looking at the lathe a little later in the week. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. The lathe that needs some work isn't an "unmentionable" however it is quite old. I was afraid if I mentioned the name the thread would be moved to the antique forum. I do frequent that forum regularly, but I thought I might get more participation in this forum.

Back