What's new
What's new

Logan Model 825 lathe

welder689

Aluminum
I have a Logan Model 825 that I don't use and am thinking about listing for sale. I'm trying to determine a value to put on it. One owner. Excellent condition.

If you list the tooling such as chucks, toolpost/toolholders, centers, etc that would go with the lathe, as well as whether the motor is single or three phase, these would be a large factors in determining price. Obviously, the big one is the condition of the lathe itself.

Photos are always good, to help determine value.

Where in Central NY are you located ? I have a buddy who has asked me to keep my eyes open for a good little lathe for his shop.

Where in Central NY are you located ? I have a buddy who has asked me to keep my eyes open for a good little lathe for his shop.

Joe, the lathe is at my work place in Liverpool, right near 81 and the Thruway. It's single-phase, 120 volts which is very nice. I do have some extras. It's got a drill-press style chuck in it right now but I do have a three jaw chuck that came with it.

You need more detail.

It's a 10" x 24" with qc gearbox, 1-1/2x8 threaded spindle with MT3 taper, flat belt, standard tailstock cabinet lathe and it weighs 830 lbs.

Joe's comments about accessories are important - a lathe missing a lot of the tooling and accessories could cost more to tool up than buying one that already has the stuff.

What spindle chucks do you have? 3-jaw, 4-jaw?
What kind of toolpost and if it is a quick change, what brand and how many toolholders?
tailstock chuck
steady rest
follower rest
carriage stops
threading dial
live and dead centers
tool bits / drills / reamers or any other cutting tools that might come with it.

You can see that all of that can add up.

If you aren't sure what something is, post a picture - someone here will know what it is and whether or not it goes with the lathe.

Pictures - the more the better.

Steve

Don't forget the faceplate? ....IMHO an essential for a home shop / jobbing lathe, .......and 2 or 3 is even better :)

Oh, and if you find the odd small angle plate or 2 lying around, snag those as well.;)

Wow, $2200 samolians.

Yup, to a great extent its the tooling. My Logan, new in 1948, has about all the tooling you could get with one at that time. It is easier to list what it doesn't have, than what it has. Missing the mica under cutter attachment, the metric transposing gears, and the following rest.

Around here, between $600 and $1000, depending. Paid the low end for a 200 with many extras. Essentially the same as yours aside from QCB

Back