What's new
What's new

Looking at a 14x30 hendey

twin staged

Aluminum
Serial number 38701H1456. Bed looks to be in good order. Spindle sounds good. I think it's a taper bearing head. If it had a longer bed I would have already pulled the trigger.

Sight glass in the apron is present but destroyed. Is there a good way to check on the health of the worm gears and the oiling in there besides pulling it apart?

More or less curious what the serial number brings up. I'm assuming it's a hardened bed with the H. Interested in metric threading options.
Looks like the original motor but I couldn't get in there to see the tag. I'm assuming 5 hp.
Is there anything hendey weird about the d1 spindle that would make backing plates need anything?
Thanks

Yoder machinery has one. Was almost going to get it myself till a 24/60 came up.He has it on his site still I think. He gave me quite a reduced price but could not get time to get it. Glad I didn't!! Curious what 14/30 your looking at and price. Also know of a 12/54 but its way down inWV.

Yoder machinery has one. Was almost going to get it myself till a 24/60 came up.He has it on his site still I think. He gave me quite a reduced price but could not get time to get it. Glad I didn't!! Curious what 14/30 your looking at and price. Also know of a 12/54 but its way down inWV.
Yeah I found that one. It's only a 12 speed. Under 500 rpm is a hard sell for me. The 14x30 I'm looking at is local to me and the owner has passed on. Only got a heads up from a friend.

twin staged:

Hendey lathe #38701H1456, a 14 x 30, 18 speed, Geared Head model, was ordered on March 16, 1953 and scheduled for completion during the
first week of September 1953. The electric motor was a 284Frame, 5HP, 1200RPM, 220Volts, 60 Cycles, 3Phase. The Spindle Speed Range is
19RPM to 1000RPM. The original owner was Jack and Heintz, Inc., no city or state was listed. It would appear that the selling agent was
Motch and Merryweather, Cleveland, Ohio. Being that is an 18 speed model, there are still a number of Patterns, Castings and Repair Parts
left in inventory. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so repair parts can be made if required. The "H" in the serial
number indicates an Induction Hardened Bed, the 1456 Bed produced. The process was introduced in 1947. This Fall, I am planning on making
several different change gear sets for the 12 and 14 inch lathes, I will post when these become available.

Hendeyman

Kick ass lathe, it's the exact model of the first gear head lathe I learned to operate.

One thing I always loved about the Hendey design was the ability to lock it in neutral, great for hand tapping delicate stuff.

Back