What's new
What's new

Lufkin No 58 Level - Old or not?

blackboat

Stainless
Not sure if I'm in the right part of the world here, but I thought I'd see if anyone could tell me more about this level. Google gets me nothing, so here it is:
LufkinFull.jpg

And the inscription:

LufkinName.jpg

Sorry for the less than stunning pics. Friend at work gave it to me the other morning; said one of his kids gave it to him from a garage sale or something, and he was cleaning out his shop and had no use for it.

Pretty nice for the price; wooden box a little battered, but I'm not complaining.

Rob

It seems to be 0.0035 per foot sensitivity, and is shown as late as catalog #9, which I have. The catalog isn't dated, but appears to be '60s, so the level need not be old.

Provision of wood box with sliding top should move it earlier. In the catalog I have, the box is hinged top, and available only for the 18" model.

It appears in catalog No. 8, and the 1959 price list has the wood box as a $6.50 extra for the $17.75 12" level.

Interestingly, it does not appear in Catalog No. 7.

One more thing, I have a 6" #58 level and the vial is satin chrome which I think would make it a later model, so I would agree you have an earlier level. A comparable Starrett can be had for $210 (12") or $320 (18") so you have some bragging rights.

Marc

Back