What's new
What's new

Hendey 12x5

desmodromic

Plastic
Ok with everybody's help on this forum I managed to take the spindle out of my machine. Low and behold I would say that the original babbitt bearings are still in place and in good condition. The bronze chips that I found in the oil inspection ports must have been from a turning. One question though, I would like to drive the bearing out of the housing so I can thoroughly clean the reservoirs, front and rear. Any risk of breaking the bearings by doing so? Tight fit? I'm thinking of using a lump hammer and a block of wood that is the same diameter. The whole affair makes a lot more sense once you see it. Thanks again for everyones advise!!

Ok with everybody's help on this forum I managed to take the spindle out of my machine. Low and behold I would say that the original babbitt bearings are still in place and in good condition. The bronze chips that I found in the oil inspection ports must have been from a turning. One question though, I would like to drive the bearing out of the housing so I can thoroughly clean the reservoirs, front and rear. Any risk of breaking the bearings by doing so? Tight fit? I'm thinking of using a lump hammer and a block of wood that is the same diameter. The whole affair makes a lot more sense once you see it. Thanks again for everyones advise!!

Hi Desmo:

If you take a look at some of the scans that have appeared on this forum, you can see that there are "nuts" on both ends of front bearing. If both are these are off, the front "may be driven out" (as Hendey says) with a "block of wood and light hammer" (so can the rear they infer)

Both bearings leave by going "outwards" - the front toward the tail stock, and the rear in an opposite direction. Hendey cautions that you must raise the oil ring so it is no longer hanging down in the oil reservoir. If you don't do this, you will just pinch and bend the ring as the bearing is driven along.

I did not have a great deal of success in following these directions. The bearings were not about to move, light hammer or otherwise, so I just cleaned out the chambers as best I could by numerous flushings with solvent..

John

Hi Desmo:

If you take a look at some of the scans that have appeared on this forum, you can see that there are "nuts" on both ends of front bearing. If both are these are off, the front "may be driven out" (as Hendey says) with a "block of wood and light hammer" (so can the rear they infer)

Both bearings leave by going "outwards" - the front toward the tail stock, and the rear in an opposite direction. Hendey cautions that you must raise the oil ring so it is no longer hanging down in the oil reservoir. If you don't do this, you will just pinch and bend the ring as the bearing is driven along.

I did not have a great deal of success in following these directions. The bearings were not about to move, light hammer or otherwise, so I just cleaned out the chambers as best I could by numerous flushings with solvent..

John

Hi JN
I've got the nuts off and am ready to go. I'll let you know if I experience any more luck than you. I could use it!! Thanks for the input.

D

Hi JN
I've got the nuts off and am ready to go. I'll let you know if I experience any more luck than you. I could use it!! Thanks for the input.

D

Back