What's new
What's new

Machine weight

Dw2500

Plastic
Hello. I'm by no means a machinist but I do have a question that I'm sure the members of this forum can help me with. I'm looking at a job that involves moving a lathe that I consider to be large. It's a Fay and Scott Dexter and measures about 16' in total length. I have no idea what a machine this size weighs and would like to have a better idea before I bid on the job. Also, the customers want to take the machine to the scrap yard. I don't have any use for it personally but I hate to waste anything that could be of some use to someone else. Not to mention the fact that it's obviously a pretty old and well built machine. Any ideas on what else could be done with it? Is it worth any money to sell outright or maybe part out? Thanks for any help.

There's also a Bridgeport mill machine that needs to be moved as well. It has "No 12 Van Norman" on the side.

Your gonna have to give some info into the swing and age of the lathe.

Bigger the swing the heavier, and the older (as in turn of the century old) the lighter.

And is the mill a Bridgeport or a Van Norman #12. A Bridgeport is a common name for a type of machine, but it's a brand in actuallity. As is a Van Noman #12.

You've already taught me something. The mill is definitely a Van Norman #12. As far as the lathe is concerned we looked all over for some sort of info. The only thing we found was a tag with the company name and some settings/speeds/ ratios. Not sure where else to look and have no idea what swing means unless you mean the length of material you can work with the machine??

"Swing" is the diameter of material that can be worked on without hitting the bed.

Maximum length of material that can be worked on is "distance between centers"

Not sure where else to look and have no idea what swing means unless you mean the length of material you can work with the machine??

Yes.

Swing is the maximum diameter of material the lathe can turn. Measure the height of the tail-stock center, multiply by two (radius to diameter) and that will get you close.

Center distance is maximum length of work that could go into the lathe if it had a center in the tailstock and headstock. Measure the distance between the chuck (or whatever is on the spindle) to the tailstock with the tailstock all the way to the end of the bed. That will get you close.

Lathes are dimensioned, by swing and center distance.

Best would be to take a picture of the machine.

Guessing by the lack of familiarity with the terms, you haven't moved on of these before. Moving machine tools can be deceptively tricky, very often top heavy with narrow bases and very easily damaged by improper handling.

Ok. I'd have to go back to the job to measure. Since the overall machine length is 16' I'm thinking the center distance is probably about 10'. I don't need an exact weight, just an approximate. My guess is 5 or 6k lbs but that's a complete shot in the dark. We can handle up to 10 - 12k lbs. Unless someone comes up with a better idea I guess we're taking it to the scrap yard. I hate to do it but not sure what else to do.

No, never moved one. Definitely top heavy. Going to remove the motor first. Probably use a hydraulic jack to get some machine skates underneath then winch it out and onto a dump trailer with the help of a tractor with pallet forks and 10,000lb excavator. Looking forward to the challenge.

Put a photograph of the machine on here and you'll get a realistic estimate of the weight. For all we know it could be a light duty lathe or a heavy duty lathe. Big difference in weights there.

Regards Tyrone.

I would at least take off the tailstock and see if you can sell that by itself. Any chuck or faceplate might be worth taking as well. If you will be removing the motor might see about selling that.
Interior designers will pay big bucks for a matched set of cast iron legs.
Bill D

I'll take selling those parts into consideration. I also have a few pictures of it as well. They aren't that great because it's in a cramped space with stuff piled up around it but I'll see if I can figure out how to post them up here.

I'll take selling those parts into consideration. I also have a few pictures of it as well. They aren't that great because it's in a cramped space with stuff piled up around it but I'll see if I can figure out how to post them up here.

Go Advanced
Scroll down to Manage Attachments
Follow trhru on uplaoding to forum as "thumbnail"

Works always for my PC

Like so

Attachments

• P1000367sm.jpg
    P1000367sm.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 114
Here is one of their Extension Bed Gap lathes - lots of iron with the two beds

Attachments

• LATHE1.JPG
    LATHE1.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 111
  • LATHE2.JPG
    LATHE2.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 105
  • LATHE8.jpg
    LATHE8.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 101
Some could probably make great money with the old ci legs etc. as high end architectural accents etc.
Might be worth 3k or so as legs.
Likewise, the whole lathe destroyed by sandblasting might be a good movie prop.

Neither option is a good commercial deal for a new guy without industrial storage, moving, handling, and space.
If You are really keen, motivated, and willing to run like a rabbit on duracells, and in a suitable area You could almost certainly broker the stuff to someone.
Recommend basic stamped authorisation from everyone - so you get something.
Super-short 1/2 paragraph authorisation.
"I work, I agent, I get some %% / or €€ on sale.30 days till xx/x". Me Tarzan, You Jane.

The problem with finding a new home for a large machine is that the bigger the machine, the fewer places that can accommodate it. Many smaller shops will not have room for it. And someone who has a need for a large one is probably looking for a new or almost new one instead of a fixer-upper. Repairs at that level can get difficult, expensive, and time consuming. A ten or twelve inch lathe with a four or six foot bed will sell a lot faster and perhaps for a higher price than something of that size. You may not be able to even give it away to any shops. And then there is the cost of moving it. You might ask the owners if they have already tried to sell it or give it away.

I'm pretty sure it's going to the scrap yard. Hate to do it. I'm going to work on getting some pics up here..

I had some conversations recently with a guy in NC that is looking for a good sized wood pattern makers lathe, He was after one here in Savannah but it fell through. I'll shoot you his email in a private message.
The Van Norman mills are pretty sought after. YOu could probably post that in the machinery for sale forum and get a better than scrap price for it and not have to move it.

Van Norman #12 Weighs 1,850 lbs. and is Viciously Top-Heavy

A Van Norman #12 weighs 1,850 lbs. and is viciously top-heavy. Watch yourself !

Lower the knee (which carries the table) to lower the center of gravity.

If the machine is scrapped, DO NOT discard Van Norman collets or the overarm support. I will buy them from you, especially the overarm support!

If the machine is not scrapped, be sure to keep all the parts and tooling. The overarm, the overarm support, the collets and the vise are frequently lost. If the machine has an indexing (dividing) head, be sure to get all of that, too.

I agree with the idea that a Van Norman #12 is worth far more than scrap value. Scrapping should be the last resort on this machine.

John Ruth

You can find Fay and Scott information in threads using the search feature of this forum and search for Dexter.
I tried posting the search link but it didn't work when I tested it .
There are several threads there by Greg Menke including this one that you can check out.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ne-tools-docs-online-252395/?highlight=Dexter

If you are not too familiar with machine tools and have not already done so , checking out this thread from the Sticky section of this forum may be helpful
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ug-shots-identify-lathe-other-machine-258416/
Regards,
Jim

Back