Machinerys Handbook - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Kennedy box has a drawer for the handbook. Tried it for a while but found that the handbook was more useful out on the bench, and the drawer conveniently holds a couple pairs of 1-2-3 blocks.

I have an 11th and a 13th edition. The 11th was a gift, the other I found in a flea mkt. In that one I found a few photos of the previous owner & his wife, and his name written on the inside cover. I did a bit of research, found and made contact with the widow (I guess they cleaned out his shop after he passed away) and mailed her the photos. She was happy to get the pictures back, and I suspect a degree of tension arose between her and her son who may have been a bit too aggressive with the shop cleanout.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have three copies myself. One newer edition, as well as an 11th and a 15th edition. Found the latter two at estate sales for four and six dollars as I recall. I love old leather bound technical books. Also picked up a first edition, sixth impression Mechanical Engineers Handbook at one of the sales, about six dollars as well. Just love finding them. Lots of estate sales around here, so lots of opportunities to find great old stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just listed my 1940 seventh edition on Ebay. I am not going to sell my grandfathers 1914 copy. Gary P. Hansen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just checked and my first edition was printed in 1909. I have newer ones that I use when needing info but when I found this at a flee market when I was about 16 years old I knew it was a treasure. That was 37 years ago! The original cardboard sleeve that protects the book is in sad shape but other wise its in remarkable condition for its age. I purchased that and a 1927 Starrett tool catalog (# 24 ) for $3.50 and laughed all the way home. I have know idea what the value of them are but its neat just having a piece of history in my collection.
    Bill

5. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 12th edition. Specifically sought out one from that era because my 10" SB is a '42, I have a Wayne air compressor of '41 vintage and an Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe which I believe is from the late '30s, so it seemed like a good idea to have a MH from the same era. I got a lot of good info on babbitting from it when I refurbished my old babbit bearing belt driven grinder. Mine also has a folded slip of paper with someone's very neat calculations in pencil on both sides. I don't even know what the problems are, but it seems like the book is carrying a little bit of that guy with it. I have a couple of my own note papers in there, I kind of figure maybe someone will find mine in there some day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Northeastconferderitguy, Were neighbors. Live about 30 minutes from you. We haunt the same places for sure. Bought those books at Englistown. Were do you work? I have a suspicion. I repair machine tools for a living.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

was waiting for this to be brought up, would like to know if anyone knows anything about a machining book entitled " The Modern Pratice of american machinists +engineers" by eggbert p watson entered according to Act bof Congress 1866 henry carey baird printed in Philadelphia 1867.. Book is in very fragile condition but it is all there has some really interesting formulas like how to make up material to do Japaning and there is one description of a metal made in china that is a close description of monel
    would like to know more if anyone can help me thanks batw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a few..
    American Machinist' Handbook by Colvin and Stanley
    The "New" one from 1955
    8th edition 1945, my first one, learned a lot starting with it, and prefer it.
    7th edition 1940
    2nd edition 1914

Machinery's Handbook

25th edition 1996, got that one new
    15th edition 1954
    5th edition 1914, 8th printing '19

Audels Machinist & Tool Makers Handy Book 1956

They are all interesting and helpful, it's really hard to pass them up if the price is fair.

Grigg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a 12th edition, bought at a flea mkt when I first started in the trade in '94- it stays at home now for use in my 'personal' shop.

Bought a 27th (I think- the re-vamped edition with CNC codes in it) brand-new in '98 or '99- it stays in my box at my 'professional' shop.

Had a 7th edition, came in 2 rollarounds of tools I bought in '98 from an old toolmaker who was about a year from planned retirement when he was diagnosed with leukemia. He had gotten it from his machinist father when he started his apprenticeship in the '40s. I ended up giving it to my supervisor/mentor at my job at the time, turns out the old toolmaker was my supervisor's journeyman (the shop they worked in ran a 1:1 ratio of journeyman to apprentice) when my supervisor was doing his apprenticeship in the '60s.

.....funny how sometimes things come full circle.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought the 27th Edition when I was in college also bought the 1st Edition of the Handbook for Metalworking industries. Was later given a copy of the 21st Edition by one of my college teachers when I graduated Tool & Die.

The 27th Edition is in my tool box at college now for when I do work in the shop, the 21st Edition is on my bookshelf beside me as I type this, and the Handbook for Metalworking Industries is sitting beside the 21st Edition.

Also have the Machining Data Handbook, which is kinda interesting which I more recently bought from a member here.

Dimitri

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an 11th,13th,16th,17th & 18th editions in my collection.
    The 18th edition is an actual "hard bound" copy that is identified as a "student edition". It is also printed on a bright white paper. Printed in 1968.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago,when I was just starting out, I was given a small Union chest with some machinists tools that belonged to my friends' deceased Great Uncle. In the box was a second edition American Machinists Handbook by Colvin and Stanley. The book was stamped "Property of U.S. Veterans Bureau". I still prefer it or the Seventh Edition (stamped "Dept. Terrestrial Magnetism, Carnegie Institution, Washington D.C.) over my twentieth edition Machinery's Handbook.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi to all, I have a 20th edition edition bought for me by my Dad back in 1978 when I was 18 and just starting in the trade.He was a millwright and had a great respect for machinists and was happy I had chosen this vocation. I lost him a few years later, still to this day everytime I reference this book I get misty-eyed. Just can't seem to update this well used edition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an 11th edition from 1942. It lists the "war time address" of the distributor for the "British Empire".

You can view or download the 5th edition (1915) here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=VkEYAAAAYAAJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got an old MH with a protective cover made out of drafting linen.
    (How many of the younger PM members even know what that is? )

It has the names/mailstops for several General Electric departments on the flyleaf. Apparently, the owner took several transfers within GE.

JRR

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a copy of the 16th edition Machinery's handbook 1959 it belonged to my uncle who passed away 20 years ago he was a great guy and is missed.

Also a copy of Audels Machinists and tool makers handy book 1946 that I bought from a used book store in near unused condition.

Both great books.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Original 1st Edition

I have an original 1st edition Tenth Thousand printed in 1914. It is in excellent condition. It was my Great Grandfathers Milton A. Ramaly of Bowmanstown, Pa. He dated the book with his name on April 22, 1914, He used to work for the New Jersey Zinc Company in Palmerton, PA. I have several pitures of it and am curious as to what it might be worth.

Not sure if I want to sell it or not since it is the only thing I have from my Great Grandfather but if someone is interested in it, I will take your name and info in case I or my estate may wish to sell it in the future. You can email me directly at [email protected]

img_2648.jpgimg_2647.jpgimg_2645.jpgimg_2643.jpgimg_2637.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No wonder I could never get my hands on one, you guys have got them all. Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a 13th edition 1946 second printing. No notes or names and in pretty good condition. Found in s/h bookshop. Needed help today with morse taper problem of my own making. Got assistance from kind gentlemen on PM, never even thought to look in MH until after. Sure enough all the info i needed was there