What's new
What's new

Machinist Chest ?

wrongwayrick

Plastic
My latest aquisition
Size is 27 wide 15 deep and 19 high
I got it from a man who said his grandfather brought it from France when he moved here (illegible customs tag on bottom).Unit appears hand built and not manufactured and was built by a true craftsman
My question is do you think it was built as a machinist chest or does the size and configuration indicate a chest for a different trade ?

Attachments

• 00S0S_8pQYmtHcT9R_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_8pQYmtHcT9R_1200x900.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 00k0k_fYArilxAGvj_1200x900.jpg
    00k0k_fYArilxAGvj_1200x900.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 00S0S_5cesOndr9VZ_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_5cesOndr9VZ_1200x900.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 00303_hX1a6D2rbFJ_1200x900.jpg
    00303_hX1a6D2rbFJ_1200x900.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 332
It is indeed possible that the chest was not originally made for machinist tools.

Where I used to work, there was an industrial design department. They employed artists, including sculptors that made full size and scale clay models of proposed truck designs. One of the clay modelers had a beautiful multi-drawer mahogany chest that he had built to hold his tools.

I have also seen mass-produced Gerstner chests that resemble machinist chests, but were specifically designed to hold dental tools.

Larry

Try Ultraviolet or Infrared Light to Read the "Illegible" Customs Tag

Oh, Man! What a beauty! Flush fitting brass hardware "to die for," so to speak.

May I suggest trying ultraviolet or infrared light to read the "illegible" Customs tag?

Many times, a camera can "see" what we cannot see with the naked eye......

John Ruth

It is indeed possible that the chest was not originally made for machinist tools.

Where I used to work, there was an industrial design department. They employed artists, including sculptors that made full size and scale clay models of proposed truck designs. One of the clay modelers had a beautiful multi-drawer mahogany chest that he had built to hold his tools.

I have also seen mass-produced Gerstner chests that resemble machinist chests, but were specifically designed to hold dental tools.

Larry
Indeed. The first time I saw a Gerstner cabinet it was filled with trinkets, mainly middle priced early 20th century gold cased watches. The man who owned it was pleased that I took a greater interest in the cabinetry than his horological collection. Its a nice chest in the photos.

Back