What's new
What's new

Maine Forest & Logging Museum Living History Day

Terry Harper

Cast Iron
Hello Folks,

This past Saturday and Sunday we held our last major event of the year - Living History Days.
In addition to over 200 volunteers, reenactors etc. The Grady Machine shop was up and running and we had
the 19 ton Steam Lombard and 10 ton Gasoline Lombards operating.

Here is a link to the Grady Machine shop:

A great day with great people and of course some amazing greasy machinery!

Best regards,

Terry

And... since I could only have one video in the previous post... here is another with Lombards, oxen, shingle mill, blacksmith... just about everything. Oh.. and I am in there too.

Best regards,

Terry

Nostalgia

Oh, Terry, how I dearly wish that my mother 1918-1986 was still alive to see this ! She used to catch rides on a working Lombard when she was a girl in Patten, ME. You once conveyed to me that she was most likely riding Lombards belonging to The Sherman Co. I know little of them, but there is a town called "Sherman Mills" relatively near Patten.

John Ruth

Hello John,

Yes, one of the Sherman Lumber Lombard's is in the Patten Lumbermen's Museum. The boiler for another one is in a private collection. The owner is working on piecing a complete machine together.

At the Maine Forest History Museum we have two steamers - one (shown in the videos) was abandonded near Knowles Brook on the upper St. John River. It was salvaged in the late 1960's and eventually arrived at the museum in the 1980's. It's first steam-up in 2014 signaled the end of a 30 year restoration. The other steamer is owned by the Crooker Family. It was used well into the 1940's and was abandoned at Fish River Lake and eventually recovered in the 1960's as well. Its fully functional but needs a current boiler inspection.

Back