What's new
What's new

Manual for marvel #9 power hacksaw

mikedell

Plastic
Hello, Gents,
A few months ago I picked up an old Marvel #9 power hacksaw with the transmission. When I got it the guy couldn't give me much information on it at all so when I brought it home I unloaded it in the shed and its sat ever since due to the cold weather.

Now with warmer weather here id like to get it cleaned up and fix whatever needs fixing. Problem is I have zero idea how to operate this thing or even lift the hacksaw blade. Does anyone have a manual they would share or a video showing exactly how to operate one of these? I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me.

I had one of those. I may still have a manual somewhere. I will dig around.

You really do need the manual. The feed mechanism is not straightforward.

I had no idea how huge of a time waster that saw was until I dropped it off a forklift and broke it into pieces. I bought a real saw and never looked back.

Fascinating mechanisms, but completely obsolete before they were made.

I agree, I use a johnson model j bandsaw for my real work, I couldn't imagine using this power hacksaw and actually get something done lol.

I just picked it up for some eye candy and a toy to screw around with. Your dead on the money about it not being straight forward, in fact it's damn right confusing to me.

You lift the blade with the handwheel at the top,do not put any oil inside that handwheel,there are clutch plates that operate dry,adding oil will screw up the feed.I have 2 marvel 8 bandsaws and a marvel 9 hacksaw.The 9 does a great job on solid material and with the rite blade and feed its faster than a band saw and cuts straight.The manual is available at vintage machinery.org I think,may want to check there.

In a home/hobby shop environment I think a power hacksaw is a great thing. If your trying to get all jobs in and out as fast as possible then maybe not. I have a Wells band saw for cutting stock. Simple and effective. But it has no charm like an old cast iron power hacksaw. I have been keeping my eyes open for one for years. Never in right place at right time. Not willing to drive two states away to go get one. But some truth into have a good and proper blade and they usually do ok. Might be a stretch comparing a modern well running band saw to a old outdated power hacksaw. You can't confuse what "I like and what works best". I collect old Russian Nagant revolvers, they are very cool. But as far as any kind of redeeming qualities relating to using one as a revolver, I would compare it to a rock or fist sized stone. Both descriptions are actually fairly accurate. Worthless in some areas, expensive and collectible in others. Anybody in Wi got a cast iron Racine or Marvel type saw let me know. Some like to hear the ocean, I like to hear power hacksaws and shapers. regards, John.

I would like to see a power hacksaw beat a bandsaw of the same class.

We used a Racine power hacksaw to cut 6" rounds on Inconel. You could set it and forget it. Come back in an hour or so just to be sure it was still cutting and go back to work. We tried it a couple times with a Johnson band saw and wore the teeth off before we could get the down pressure just right. Power hacksaws do have a place in some shops. I use a Startrite band saw for almost everything in the shop. The Racine power hacksaw gets put to work on occasion when the other saw is busy, or to cut some nasty material. The nice thing is that they're nearly bullet proof, and the blades are cheap. I pay about $40.00 for a band saw blade and less then $5.00 for a power hacksaw blade.

I would like to see a power hacksaw beat a bandsaw of the same class.

THAT ... depends on the material being cut. PHS has the advantage of a blade that has no need to bend around wheels. Gives it anough advantage - economic if not also technical - in certain circumstances that Kasto still makes - and sells - BOTH.

Present-day. Not antique.

I have this sneaking suspicion that they understand the business and their markets fairly well..

:)

The last time I looked Marvel still made a power hacksaw. I have an old power hacksaw that was my first power metal cutting saw. Before that it was a hand held. . There is a place for them in cutting round stock. You can walk away and work on other things. I love my marvel tilt head band saw with the friction feed better. I wouldn't try to sell anyone either way but a power hacksaw has a place. I like the simplicity of the mechanics of a power hacksaw.tEdit: I think marvel quit making them.

The last time I looked Marvel still made a power hacksaw. I have an old power hacksaw that was my first power metal cutting saw. Before that it was a hand held. . There is a place for them in cutting round stock. You can walk away and work on other things. I love my marvel tilt head band saw with the friction feed better. I wouldn't try to sell anyone either way but a power hacksaw has a place. I like the simplicity of the mechanics of a power hacksaw.tEdit: I think marvel quit making them.

A bandsaw is actually the "simpler" machine of the two, at least at heart. Cold-saw can be as well. No recip motion. No need of lift on the backstroke.

It's laregly about the blades. Straight, flat, and no need to flex much make it easier for the hacksaw to deal cheaply with all manner of special challenges..

The bandsaw needs higher-tech metallurgy in the blade itself so it can cut tough materilas, still live long and work well in the thinner and very much more flexibe size and cross-section it needs to bend aroond two - or three, sometimes four - wheels, every revolution, one after another, and not fatigue and break "too soon".

Having "both" is good. Add ABRASIVE chopsaw - there is an abrasive of one kind or another as will cut just about anything that won't melt or catch fire first - and a toothed coldsaw for "full coverage". Oh yazz... a wet diamond saw for tile...

:)

Last edited:
Sorry didn't mean to cause a problem,Mike if you need any help feel free to pm me,I have used one of these for awhile,they are great machines.

I just picked up a Peerless power hack from an auction a few weeks ago. I think it's a Hydra-Cut since it has hydraulic cylinders that raise the blade head, but I can't find a tag on it.

I bought it to use for cutting auger flighting, stainless, hardened stuff, etc. Looks like nos blades can be had on eBay for around $7.00 for the size this saw takes. It's definitely a serious machine, and looks to be in pretty good shape under the grime.

I don't doubt that a properly set up bandsaw will cut just about anything this will faster, but for me, the low cost of blade breakage outweighs its obsolescence. The table is nice and big and has a bunch of t-slots that I think will be handy for oddball setups.

The rigger that loaded it had a scale on his forklift: 5,038 lbs.

IMG_20180322_165553115_HDR~3.jpg

I just picked up a Peerless power hack from an auction a few weeks ago. I think it's a Hydra-Cut since it has hydraulic cylinders that raise the blade head, but I can't find a tag on it.

I bought it to use for cutting auger flighting, stainless, hardened stuff, etc. Looks like nos blades can be had on eBay for around $7.00 for the size this saw takes. It's definitely a serious machine, and looks to be in pretty good shape under the grime.

I don't doubt that a properly set up bandsaw will cut just about anything this will faster, but for me, the low cost of blade breakage outweighs its obsolescence. The table is nice and big and has a bunch of t-slots that I think will be handy for oddball setups.

The rigger that loaded it had a scale on his forklift: 5,038 lbs.

View attachment 225451

Serious saw, that. Another thing.. with the usual coolant pump operating properly, INDIVIDUAL blade life can be awesome on these old warhorses.

Fast to change, but seldom needed if already suited to the material. Big old thick slice of good HSS steel just lasts and lasts.

Sorry didn't mean to cause a problem,Mike if you need any help feel free to pm me,I have used one of these for awhile,they are great machines.

No problem at all sir,
Thank you for the heads up about the manual over at vintage machinery, I was able to find it and download. This machine is starting to make more sense to me know that ive read the manual.

Back