What's new
What's new

The Massachusetts Tool Co. No.700 lathe.

ssohner

Plastic
I recently purchased a small jewelers lathe on ebay. It is marked "Massachusetts Tool Co. Greenfield, Mass. USA". After reading several posts on this forum it appears to be a No. 700 bench lathe. The collets supplied with it (one in the headstock and one in the tailstock) have internal threads and the corresponding external threads on the draw bar are .278 major dia. x 40 TPI. I am hoping to find a source for additional collets. Of the two I have, one is marked 15 and the other is marked 35. I don't know what these designations mean.

Can anyone help?

I think this is the one you are talking about.

Jeweler/WatchMaker Lathe stamped "Greenfield Mass.", mounted, with foot control | eBay

Made by Goodell-Pratt.
Their No.700 Precision Model Lathe.
They are no longer in business, so no collets are available unless you find them on ebay.
I don't know of any source.
They made the collets(they called them round wire chucks) in inch sizes from 1/32" to 1/4" by 32nds, and metric from .5 to 6 and wire gauge twist drill sizes from 5 to 60, which is what you have(15 & 35).

Rob

That's the one!

Yes, exactly. That is the lathe I bought. Thanks for the info regarding collet sizes. That clears up part of my question. Is it practical to have collets made by someone with the right equipment?

I recently purchased a small jewelers lathe on ebay. It is marked "Massachusetts Tool Co. Greenfield, Mass. USA". After reading several posts on this forum it appears to be a No. 700 bench lathe. The collets supplied with it (one in the headstock and one in the tailstock) have internal threads and the corresponding external threads on the draw bar are .278 major dia. x 40 TPI. I am hoping to find a source for additional collets. Of the two I have, one is marked 15 and the other is marked 35. I don't know what these designations mean.

Can anyone help?
A little information here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/massachusetts/

Model 700 on Foot Powered Stand

Can't comment on making collets but thought you might like to see some more pictures of a 700 that is on a foot powered stand. Nice and very complete outfit.

Thanks Ed700 ad LD.jpgAccessory box.jpgFront view 2.jpgLathe on table top.jpgCompound.jpg

Nothing cast or stamped anywhere on the lathe or any of the accessories. Company name is on the paper label inside the top.

If you want any pictures, please let me know. Cute little thing!!

Thanks Ed

Can anyone help?

I have the exact same lathe with a complete set of collets but it has quite a few accessories along with it that are also marked Massachusetts tool company.
One of the inside thread collets that’s with the lathe is stripped and have been searching ebay for years to no avail. Could be that we’re using the wrong key words to find them?

I have the exact same lathe with a complete set of collets but it has quite a few accessories along with it that are also marked Massachusetts tool company.
One of the inside thread collets that’s with the lathe is stripped and have been searching ebay for years to no avail. Could be that we’re using the wrong key words to find them?

Post pictures and dimensions of the collets if you want help. Pictures would be much more useful than the words that have so far been posted.

Larry

Sadly, miscellaneous parts of every kind are usually a complete mystery to eBay Sellers. If they are unmarked, especially.

It's a miracle for your average Seller to even know what a Surface Gage is, let alone a Collet for some particular antique lathe.

One solution is to search and search for a Mass Tool or Goodell Lathe that has some Collets with it. Which is what you've been doing.

OR

With measured drawings, they likely would be fairly straightforward job for an accomplished Machinist. Lathe-Turn, Tap, Slot, Harden, Grind, Polish

You should be able to measure the Tapers, and Threads required from the Lathe itself.

The central hole, of course, would vary. A set would be needed to do various work.

Even grab a block of wood, and make a stand for them.

Could be profitable to make a few sets and eBay them.

Back