What's new
What's new

Anybody know where an BC Ames mill serial number is located on the machine???

RayKehrhan

Aluminum
Hello,

Does anyone know where the serial number might be on an BC Ames horizontal bench mill??

Recently acquired on from VT and am looking to date it.

thanks for any help provided.

Ray

Good Morning,

I thought I would put some photos up of the Ames lathe that I acquired. It takes 3AM collets, sits on the original table with the original under drive.

Needs to be cleaned up and tuned up but otherwise in great shape.

Ray

IMG_6154.jpg IMG_6155.jpg IMG_6156.jpgIMG_6159.jpg IMG_6160.jpg

I have a couple of Ames mills and I don't think either of them has a serial number. All of the parts should be stamped with a two or three digit number that helps parts stay with the right machine, but I think that's all you get. Same with the #3 lathe, I think.

I don't see a hole where the gearchange handle would go, is there a gearbox under the bench?

Did it come with collets? I think I have multiple spares of some 3AMs, but I don't remember if they're useful sizes - maybe all 17/23rds.

Hello,

I did find the serial number, I can't believe I missed it. it was on the bottom of the manufactures plague, #766.

I would be interested in the spare 3AM collets that you may have, I will send you a PM...

There is a gear box underneath, an original the handle is on the side...

And yes, I did get a mess of index plates, lots of duplicates in the stacks.

Ray

I stand corrected... I have almost 3 Ames mills, I looked at the oldest when I replied since it was in the livingroom with me. It's got no plaque and no number I've ever found. That one is a 3AM plain bearing headstock non-overarm overhead drive unit.

I've also got a dark gray mill with under-drive plain bearing 1AM headstock and no overarm, serial #844. It came on a cast iron base with fish living in it and a gearbox handle sticking up through the mill base. Also, a green mill with under-drive ball bearing 1AM overarm headstock, serial #1115.

Also, I was mistaken about the spare collets - I get 1AM (seems like it should be smaller) and 3AM (seems like it should be larger) mixed up. The spares I've got are 1AM, the larger, later collets.

Back